View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #487
Knight165
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: MLB 15 The Show OS Community Impressions

I'm finally getting some games in(crazy busy)....and I feel I've gotten a good handle on this years version of MLBTS.

Graphics.
Okay.....I have to admit....in the past I've always said that graphics don't matter much. Gameplay...it's all about the gameplay. It's STILL about the gameplay, but this game looks so much better than '14. It's the colors and the lighting. The lighting is sick. It brings playing the game(okay...managing the games) to a different level. I've been sneaking my PS4 to work and getting in a game while I'm working out or on some down time. Guys who see the game are amazed.(They can't believe the E317 L165 B54 Sleepless Knights sign!!! in the beginning of games at Citi) Everything just looks so much better. Amazing. Caveat......that flash at night games is annoying. I hope they can fix that.
++++(out of five pluses)

Commentary
For those that are saying it's the same as last year.....you are right and wrong. Did anyone think they were going to scrap thousands of lines of commentary? If you did or do....you're kidding yourself and need to get over that.
Yes.....there are a lot of repeating lines. I agree and get that guys are tired of it. But there is also a lot of new commentary that is either not being heard because you haven't gotten into your season or it's being put on the side burner to complain about "the same old lines". It's not a ton...but it's there and if SCEA can figure out a way to really mix up the lines....and not have lines repeat in the same spots/same situations ....it would go a long way. This is one of the inherent problems with pre-recorded lines(instead of stitching together words/phrases...which has it's own problems)
If you do take a listen.....you will hear more about previous games/performances and some new color. Hearing the count more is a good improvement as well
++

Menus
Love 'em. A lot of info on them and more streamlined. I like the smaller font as well. They aren't a big deal to me like some, but they look clean and present some important info. One thing.....I wish a lineup was in the LINEUP box like in the rotation box. I also would like player names in the depth chart box(manage roster). For such a big menu OSD....it could give a bit more info than just the number of players.
+++

Radio Show
I'm giving this it's own slot just because it's new.
IMO...this is a GREAT addition. I've got a routine in using this now. After finishing my game....I don't listen to the radio show right away after. I use it as a "warm up" to my next game played. Right before playing I hit triangle and start the show.....I then go through my minor league stats.....check transactions......check the league injuries...etc.
While I like hearing the scores...it's the additional info that shines(at least a little in this first go around) for me. The call ups...the player performance...the standings and injuries. Hopefully they really add to these lines as these are the ones that make franchise more immersive.
The lines are a little stunted .....but if they add and smooth things out...BIG PLUS
++++

Gameplay
Okay....whatever it is...the new animations....the new fielding dynamics....the ball physics....or my imagination. I don't care...the gameplay feels SO MUCH better this year than in any other year. I love the new fielding animations that were added. Much more variety. This goes for hits as well. Gap shots look great and balls to the corners look much more realistic.
That being said......without some slider adjustments one of the problems from last year(to much station to station baserunning.....guys on second wouldn't try and score enough)....might have been slightly over corrected. A tad too aggressive...but only in some situations. I love the new base running most of the time...but question it some of the time.(thankfully...guys will finally take the extra base on a bad throw!)
But for the most part...this is the MOST FUN I've had with The Show and I've always loved the game(shocking!)...so that's saying a lot!
++++

I've left franchise mode out for now.....not enough time to fairly give my opinion.

M.K.
Knight165