View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 03:01 AM   #292
badmrfrosty7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: MLB 15 The Show Patch 1.02 Available Now, Details Included (PS3, PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrmikey
thanks for chiming in Russell, much appreciated.
what i can't get past is that you and your team added AWESOME new additions / kept cool existing scenes in between pitches / innings that contradict achieving a goal of having the game finish faster:

1. split screen pitcher/batter
2. dirtcam view
3. broken bat, getting a new one
4. ball boy returning to seat
5. pitcher taking off hat to wipe sweat / gather himself
6. showing emotion of pitcher questioning ball that should have been a strike (i.e. lifting hands like "are you kidding me")
7. home run replay from previous inning(s); hr/xtra base hit in between innings
8. mascot hyping up the crowd
9. show motion replay
etc.. could go on forever mentioning cool things

I'm loving all the stuff above, adding to the authenticity of the game. Not showing foul balls going into the stands more often like it used to, interrupting the throw back to the pitcher from the catcher, etc...seems to take a bit of the essence of baseball away. my biggest fear is that eventually too much baseball will get removed from the game in favor of finishing the game faster...that's why you added fast play, in game saves, usage of x button...it's not like you're forcing everyone to watch everything like some FPS, other genres.

love the game, love the SCEA team's accomplishments.
just my 2 cents.
While I too am disappointed when any game elements and animations are wholly removed from a game, many of the things you're listing and mentioning here add to the emotion of the game. And I think that's what SCEA tried to avoid removing and instead tried to cut pieces they felt didn't impact things one way or another as far as emotion goes.

Obviously, it's a debatable topic of what should/shouldn't be removed if they absolutely have to remove something, but I perhaps naively believe this is where the line is drawn for the most part, barring actual MLB rule changes to speed up the game. It's when they start cutting out the things in your list is when they not only affect the flow of baseball, but also the emotion and tension of the game. And I can't picture them doing that.

But I agree with the sentiment that it should be implemented as an option rather than changing the Broadcast gameplay. Maybe have a Fast Play, Broadcast Fast, Medium, Real, etc. or other solutions that have been mentioned. Here's hoping baseball-simulation fans of all the various paces can one day co-exist.