View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #5
Hanoble
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion Thread 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpritePuck
The only pitch I ever throw with max velocity on a somewhat regular bases (mostly for strikeouts or with closers) is high fastballs trying to get someone to chase as they tend to "rise" out of the zone later when slightly overthrown. Though if greatly overthrown it is way high!
I also have noticed/used this. If I am ahead in a count and feel a high/inside fastball is the pitch I need to throw, I will purposely overthrow it to get more velocity and rise on it. I do not keep charts, but personally I do feel like it changes the way the location of the pitch.

Honestly, without inside knowledge as to how the pitching actually works we may not ever know. I feel like somewhere I read a tip claiming that tapping a pitch gives best chance for high accuracy and holding increases velocity, but lessens control. It makes sense that when you throw a pitch there is some randomness involved (I think we can all agree on that). Tapping would then lessen the weight of this randomness and holding it down would increase it. I would also assume that all pitches have a sort of "bad/unwanted movement" associated with them, for example a slider over-breaking or a fastball rising (which is what in a bad situation you do not want these pitches to do).

I hope more people look into this and maybe we can more clearly understand exactly what is going on, if anything at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove