View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
illiterateoption
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: NCAA 06 Playbook Discovery "QB Choice" = Read Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
The QB Choice concept in 06 can be a nice run play to utilize in your spread offense. EA did not do the best job with creating this play but I have a fewset rules on how to run it effectively and consistently.

For the sake of this example, let's look at the shotgun spread formation upagainst a dime defense, for simplicity sake. Without flipping the play, thismeans the HB is on the right side of the QB.

The best way for me to run this concept has always been to think of the playas an inverted veer. EA designed it as the HB going in one direction and if the QB keeps it, he should naturally go the other direction.

I do the exact opposite. I run the play as an inverted veer or "same side read option". If I keep the ball with my QB, I will run it to thesame side the HB would run it. I do this because 90% of the time the DE that isleft undefended and if your run your QB to the side of that DE, you will get stuffed.

Now I am a “coverage progression” guy which means all of my pre and postsnap decisions are made based on whether the defense is in man or zone. This isobvious for pass plays but the same applies for my run plays. It is no different for the QB Choice.

Here are my reads for running the QB Choice (HB right of the QB):

1. After breaking the huddle, watch the CBs to determineif defense is in man or zone

a. If CBs sprint to their initial spot = MAN

b. If CBs turn facing you and slide to their initial spot = ZONE

2. If in zone, do not keep the ball with the QB, ever. Defenses are too fast for your QB to make a play against a zone

3. If in man, read defensive line shift. If line shifts toHB side (right), keep it with your QB. It maybe be in your favor let the HB have the ball as well

4. Otherwise, always give it to your HB, even if the line shifts towards the side where your HB is running to (left). This point is the biggest downside to the QB Choice, you can’t flip the run

5. Follow your blocks. Basically, don’t abuse the speedbutton. If in man, get more horizontal until blocks are made. If in zone, don’tuse the speed button and stay vertical as much a s possible

QB Choice is more effective if the ball is on a hash where there is more room for both players to run to, in this case on the right hash.

The QB Choice isn’t as effective as the speed option or the HB Direct out ofany Gun formation but can still be potent if ran correctly. These are not hard rules but they have served me well when running QB Choice.

I hope this helps some. Go into practice mode and rep it until you can do runit blindfolded, lol. Also, make use of the first point I mentioned on reading the CBs. Outside of being in a twins or trips formation, it is useful to know what coverage the defense is in for every play since you don’t have to motion WRs to find that info out.
Awesome Breakdown my man! I need to get into the lab!