View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
BrianU
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Franchise House Rules

This is more a mix of franchise and gameplay house rules, but I like to limit the ways I can take advantage of the controls in sports games to try to make it a more even playing field human vs CPU.

Every month of franchise I look at my player's stats and that determine who I use directional hitting, contact swing, and power swing with.

---

Post-pitch delivery Directional Hitting
(AVG) Above average 0.270+

Contact swings
(OBP) Above average 0.340+

Power swings
(ISO) Above average 0.170+

----

So for example I will only use contact swings with players in my franchise who have a .340 OBP or higher. You can do this two ways, either based on a players real life stats or his The Show franchise mode stats. It adds another wrinkle of realism for me.

The "Post-pitch delivery Directional Hitting" is using the direction hitting while the pitch is coming to the plate and mid-flight pushing the right analog stick towards where the ball is pitched and hitting it. i.e. going with the pitch. I believe this gives you a little boost to contact, I limit it to my high AVG guys because I feel it would be too easy to exploit if you master it. If you want to get really nerdy about it you can break it down further and limit yourself based on the hitters BAA lefty/righty splits, but I know not everyone is as depraved as me.

For the start of the season I load up Fangraphs and look at my teams batting stats from last year to determine who gets what ability. Then after the first month I use the in-game current season stats.

With that said I will use direction hitting for every player if I am sitting on a pitch. But I limit myself in that once I pick a "zone" before the pitch is thrown, up and in, down and away, outside, etc... I have to keep it there the entire pitch. Unless I am batting with one of those +270 avg guys.

I also do not use direction hitting as situational hitting tool. This is a GREAT article with data to back up the fact that MLB players do not have the ability to place the ball where they want to hit it. This guys for hit and runs, sac flys, etc... http://grantland.com/features/mlb-20...ing-the-shift/

Last edited by BrianU; 06-13-2015 at 12:43 PM.