View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #649
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

James Atkins first winner of Harrell Defensive Sportsman Award

James Atkins has made UConn history before even starting a game in his career.

The grad student defensive end was named as the recipient of the first ever Harrell Defensive Sportsman Award by Coach Diaco and the staff for displaying leadership and perseverance through his career. As a result, Atkins will switch from number 96 to number 95 as part of the award.

Atkins has played limited amounts of time in his first 4 years at UConn, but with 3 of UConn's top 4 ends gone from last year, Atkins will get to start next to Sam Rourke in 2018.

Diaco established the award in January after one of his favorite players of his tenure, now graduated former JUCO transfer Quintin Harrell. He wore #95 at linebacker and defensive end in his time at Storrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Atkins
This is a great honor. Quintin and I were great friends, and his presence in the locker room was there every single week, and he'll continue to be there, just in the form of me. I'm honored to be wearing his #95 this fall as I hopefully can do what he did for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Diaco
James was a rather obvious choice. He's been extremely patient with us over the past 4 years, and he's bought into the vision of our program every single day. That's the biggest thing I ask out of kids, is to believe in what we can do as a unit here, and most of them can see my vision. I expect James to enhance to role here, the only difference is he's starting, not sitting.
Congrats, James, and we wish you the best of luck with #95!

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.

Last edited by thesportsguru11; 07-09-2017 at 11:46 AM.