View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #47
jes5ant
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How's Your GM Mode Going?

I've never posted my progress before. Please let me know how I could change things up. Normally I'd do a much smaller post focusing on just one year. But I'm already well into the campaign at year 5 so here's EVERYTHING. One thing I know I will do differently going forward is post my lineup. I would have done than from the start but I didn't know id be posting and now that I am I can't remember The final year in this post has my current lineup.

YEAR 1

I must say I've never had more fun with a GM mode. I started as the leafs and got absolutely decimated. The team just could not put it together (no kidding). I sold off Phaneuf, Lupul, Bozak and Polak for picks in the 16 and 17 draft.

The high note for the organization was little Willy Nylander in the AHL He had a good year and grew to about an 82 by the end of the year. I had him playing #1 C in the AHL. It should be noted that I changed him from his default med top 6 potential to medium elite. He looks like he has good potential to be a top line player in the NHL in real life.

Not to be out done was Nylander's linemate Connor Brown. Who grew all the way to an 80 by the end of the year.

Valiev, Nielson and Marner also looked to be progressing nicely.

YEAR 2

In the off season I noticed Andersen had not been picked up by ANH. I jumped at the opportunity to signed him to a massive 7 year deal. Sorry Bernier, you're now trade bait.

The next year went better than the previous. My team squeaked into the playoffs and made it to the second round.

I started the year with Nylander as the second line C behind Kadri but by the end of the year it was apparent that JVR and Kadri had no chemistry. With Nylander catching up to Kadri in ratings, I decided it was an easy move to swap the centers.

I also decided to promote Brown, who was an 82 now, to the big club and put him on the second line.

YEAR 3

At the draft I packaged 2 of the first picks I had accumulated to trade for the second overall. I then used the player taken second, Kadri and other players to trade for Chychrun who went first overall.

Year 3 saw more growth. We were a legit playoff team this year.

JVR bitched and moaned all year no matter what I said to him or who I played him with so I traded him to Florida for Huberdeau. I also managed to acquire Ritchie from ANH to replace his size.

We made it to the playoffs but lost to Pitt in the conference finals.

YEAR 4

In the offseason. I signed Shattenkirk to play along side Rielly and drop Gardiner to the second pairing. This was also the year Chychrun made the team on the bottom paring.

To start the next year Nylander grew to an 89 FRANCHISE C. And Brown grew to an 84 ELITE winger. Marner graduated to the big club and played 2nd C at 82. Needless to say I could tell I was in for a good year.

Right out of the gate my team steamrolled everyone. Nylander, Rielly and Shatty were right around ppg until the trade deadline. I was firmly in first place and Colorado kept offering me Barrie who was an 89 overall elite D set to be a free agent. I couldn't help myself and dealt away 2/3 of my third line, (both at 86) as well as a pick and high prospect to get him. My top 4 D was now an OP Rielly/Shatty and Gardiner/Barrie.

Barrie bitched about not being on the top pair. But that soon stopped when he hoisted the Cup on home Ice. Andersen was the Conn Smyth winner. My avg age was around 25. Can anyone say Dynasty?

By the end of the playoffs I had 4 players in the 90's: Nylander 91, Rielly 90, shattenkirk 90, Andersen 90

YEAR 5

Needless to say I couldn't afford to sign Barrie in the offseason. A few players left in the off season including my longtime top 6 winger Grabner. I replaced him with Kerby Rychel. I have some decisions to make next offseason do I let Gardiner 86 or Huberdeau 87 walk? I will only be able to afford one of them, if any. It may be Gardiner as I have 2 rookies playing bottom pairing D this year and both should get upticks next year. That chychrun is starting the year at an 85 in his second full year.

Year 5 saw the my juggernaught of a team steamroll the league to win the conference with 1 more win than the previous year, 51. The only surprise was seeing Chychrun skyrocket to 90 overall by the time playoff's started.

I normally play a good chunk of the playoffs myself. We'll see if there's a repeat. I thought Marner would pass Nylander eventually as the teams top C. It doesn't look like

Lineup heading into the playoffs:

Brown 87 | Nylander 93 | Huberdeau 87
Ritchie 86 | Marner 87 | Rychel 85
Liepsic 84 | Gauthier 86 | Rupert 84
Everberg 83 | Holland 83 | Kapanen 81

Rielly 91 | Chychurn 90
Gardiner 86 | Shattenkirk 91
Valiev 83 | Dolak 82

Andersen 91 | Markstrom 82