View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
jmb5310
Rookie

jmb5310's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ideal Player Types for LeBeau Zone Blitz Scheme

So as a Steelers fan, I'll give this a go:

The 3 components of a LeBeau Defense are 1) Tackle the catch 2) Don't give up the big play 3) Create a pass rush with OLBs

So you have DEs and a NT that typically eat up blockers to free up your athletic linebackers to make the plays. The rush typically comes from your OLBs (your James Harrisons or Lamar Woodleys) and your elaborate blitz packages (fire blitz or a DB). Now to your question:

Defensive backs:

1) Corners - You draft bigger corners w/ length that can play zone and tackle. You don't draft them prior to round 3. Ike Taylor's the best example. Tall (6'1) and violent (at least in college) and was an absolute blanket in his hayday. In game, I look for guys w/ "A" Zone coverage for the most part and go from there.

2) Free Safety - You're looking for a center fielder that can hit, you were right on your assessment.

3) Strong Safety - Troy was a special player. You can't even recreate him in the game. His abilities and instincts were unfathomable. But for the game, you'd look for an in the box safety that has the ability to act as a 5th line backer but with more of an ability to cover. Deone Buchanon on the Cardinals is an example of a guy I'd like to see in a Steelers uniform. Az uses him more as a middle linebacker, but I think you get my point.

If I didn't hit on a concern, let me know.. but that should get you pointed in the right direction.