cdfresh96
Rookie

cdfresh96's Arena

OVR: 1
A New Era: The New York Jets Empire

Darth Graham Wants A Gang Green Empire
Graham Looking To Take NY by Storm[/size]

ESPN NEW YORK

Florham Park -- As the Jets prepare for the 2015 NFL season, many expect the same thing. With defending champs from New England returning in full force and with Miami and Buffalo seeing instant improvements in personnel and front office, the AFC East has become one of the most competitive divisions in the NFL.

The Rex Ryan era is officially over in the Meadowlands and although Ryan did bring the Jets to back to back AFC championship games in his first two years as head coach, the Jets haven't made it back to the post season since 2010. Ryan's brashness may have cost him in the end as the latter Jets teams lacked discipline and control at times leading to their demise. With Ryan out of the picture the Jets wanted to change the culture. Enter Todd Bowles.

Bowles is coming off of a successful two year stint as defensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals, molding the red and black to a very good defensive team that made it to the playoffs. Bowles will now inherit a team with tremendous young talent on the defensive end (a usual strength of the Jets) but with limited talent on the offensive side of the ball.

The Jets did make some additions to the roster to compete with the improved AFC East. In March, New York negotiated a deal with the Chicago Bears to bring star receiver Brandon Marshall to Gang Green. After years of not having an athletic playmaker on the offensive end, Mike Maccagnan finally made a move to boost the offense. But it didn't stop there on the offensive end. Arguably the biggest addition to the Jets is the return of Darrelle Revis. Revis was the cornerstone of Ryan's playoff teams and if Revis can produce like he did last season in New England, the Jets will only give the talented defensive line more time to attack the QB. The Jets were also able to bring back another Jet corner in Antonio Cromartie. Cromartie is familiar with Bowles system as he was a member of the Cardinals last season as well.

Bowles is trying to add a championship culture to the Jets. Something that has been lacking since Joe Namath brought the Super Bowl to New York in 1968. Seeing the Giants win two Super Bowls the last few years has fueled new owner Troy Graham to bring a team to the Super Bowl not wearing blue. Graham is the youngest owner in the league at the age of 19 but has already become a financial mogul in New York and still even attends St. John's University. Graham watched the Giants win those Super Bowls when he was in middle school and high school. "It was tough watching those games. I mean being a lifelong Jets fan seeing the Pats and Giants in those Super Bowls were tough. Im sick of being the second team in New York. Besides the Yankees, there hasn't been a legitimate New York dynasty. But I don't just want a dynasty. I want an empire. I want New York to be the center of football greatness. And I don't want it to have anything to do with those Giants either." Graham is emotional about this team and its good to see an owner who finally cares about his franchise in New York rather than caring about only the business. But an empire is something that sounds a bit Yankee like. "Look I'm not a Yankee fan but there is something about that tradition that I want. We won't be wearing pinstripes anytime soon but I think its important to bring a championship culture to this city. I'm sick of our fans being embarrassed Jets fans. I want people to be proud to wear the Green and White. And it starts now."

Time will tell if the Jets can change the culture. But Jets will open their season in the Meadowlands against Johnny football and the Browns on Sunday at 1.
Advertisements - Register to remove