View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #31
wwharton
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Can anyone articulate what a catch is any more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFreak
I didn't miss the point of your post I understood it loud and clear. Those kind of missed calls aren't anything new though. We're used to seeing teams get ****ed by stupid penalties and all that. That's nothing new. It has certainly not been typical to get this kind of catch scrutiny week in and week out. In years past there have of course been some high profile incidents but this has become a weekly issue, which is something that isn't typical with catches.

We all know that the refs suck, catches are being highlighted because it isn't something that has come up as frequently in the past few years.
Well we just disagree then.

I don't remember refs making blatant miscalls that literally cost games. I don't remember refs blowing the whistle when a pass was still in the air... or keeping the clock running because they were remembering college rules. I'm softer on refs than most, and I don't remember the level of screw ups that seem to have been increasing on a yearly basis. Honestly, we're seeing mistakes we didn't see with the replacement refs.

And at the same time, catches have been under scrutiny for years as well. That's why the rules have been rewritten to try to clear up what is and what isn't. They have been under the microscope since before instant replay. The only thing that's different is announcers and analysts being vocal about not understanding the rule, fueling the fire of fans complaining when a catch isn't called the way they think it should (not the way the rule is written, but the way they think it should).
Advertisements - Register to remove