View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
RogueHominid
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Penalty Sliders with Default Difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
Still going back and forth between tweaking All Pro sliders to get something consistantly difficult but not impossible (like All Madden) for me. I've seen some people suggest tweaking the penalty sliders while using default skill sliders for All Pro or All Madden. I have never touched penalty sliders, because I don't really understand how that affects the gameplay otherwise.

Does anyone have any suggestions for penalty sliders with default skill sliders (or skill sliders near default)?

Obviously, all the slider sets here have their own penalty sliders, but I'm assuming those are tweaked for their individual slider sets, not default skill sets.
Here's what I have penalty wise. The first value is the setting in my main profile outside of CFM, and the second value is the value inside my CFM.

Offside: 55/60
False Start: 55/60
Holding: 45/56
Defensive Holding: 55/56
Face Mask: 55/55
DPI: 55/60
Block: 50/53
Roughing: 50/53

You can move in increments of 5 in the main profile, but can move in increments of 1 in the CFM menu.

KingV2K3 came up with the concept of staggering these values, with the understanding that you could get the game to play out differently animation-wise by combining these values in different ways without actually triggering significant increases in penalty calls.

Through experimentation, I settled on two very important penalties for animations and game play: DPI and Defensive Holding.

DPI at higher values produces tighter man coverage animations, meaning your LB or DB will have a smaller trail radius in man coverage the higher you go. Values above 60 tend to nerf the HUM screen game due to overly hot pursuit.

DPI is important because at default, there's too much separation between defenders and receivers in man coverage, resulting in too many completions, unrealistic animations, and too many yards for the CPU on certain routes.

Defensive holding is similar but distinct. With a value of 56, you'll see a little more hand fighting between WR and DBs, and you'll see really good press corners totally stymie a WR from time to time. You'll also see more off target throws by both the HUM and CPU because something about this slider throws off the timing of passing routes and throws off the general accuracy of QBs, which is too hight at default.

By adjusting these two penalty sliders, you can minimize a couple of annoying features of default game play, namely the looseness and general ineffectiveness of man coverage and the unrealistic accuracy of QBs on short and intermediate throws.

Last edited by RogueHominid; 12-15-2015 at 09:26 AM.