View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 08:33 AM   #258
Money99
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: MLB The Show 16 Trailer, Josh Donaldson is the Cover Athlete - Ships 3.29.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
I think the people making such comments don't fully understand how hard it is to release an AAA quality game on an annual basis. Look at other annual AAA titles and you see that have either a) massive development teams or b) alternate studios every other year. Two notable examples of the latter are COD and Assassin's Creed.

I remember seeing a pic of polyphony's (gran turismo) office and there were matresses under the desks, and those of us who play GT know how often those games come out. These guys must really love their jobs if they are willing to stay the night at the office enough to have a mattresses there.
This is why I wish the sports gaming industry would stop releasing games annually.
With the exception of a few games with huge budgets and large development teams, the majority of them simply don't have enough time to provide a worthy and noticeable upgrade on a year to year basis.

I hear Konami is considering going the digital route with PES where you pay for annual roster updates, patches, etc, and then every 2 or 3 years, they release a new fully fleshed out game.

I'd be all for that.
Obviously the model has to be such that their annual profits aren't lost. And I'd be naive to believe this isn't the sole reason it's not occurring now.
But I wonder if there isn't a model that can be implemented where profits remain in tact while also providing a meaningful, noticeable release every 2 or 3 years.