View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #921
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

UConn A.D. hunt: Valentine hired

Oh boy.

Current Sacred Heart A.D. and former Mets and Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine has been officially hired to replace Warde Manuel as the athletic director at UConn, announced at a press conference on August 19. Valentine beat out George Mason A.D. Brad Edwards and former Alabama, LSU and Michigan State head coach Nick Saban for the job.

UConn president Susan Herbst, in charge of the search, was "impressed by Mr. Valentine in his final interview, and ultimately we felt it was the right fit."

In his introductory press conference, Valentine said: "I am honored to be the new head of an athletic powerhouse.. in my home state no less. Warde left the school in great shape, and that helps make my job a bit easier. Now it's on me to help keep the level of performance at the highest we can keep it."

Valentine's hire comes with both pros and cons. Valentine has spent seven years as A.D. at in-state Sacred Heart, and calls his hometown Stamford, showing he knows the region and its people well. However, he was fired several times during his managerial career and his leadership skills have been called into question at points in his previous jobs.

Regardless, Coach Diaco and men's basketball coach Kevin Ollie have vocally supported their new boss, and "are eager to get to work", according to Coach Diaco.

It is sure to be an interesting ride.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.

Last edited by thesportsguru11; 07-09-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove