Old 01-03-2016, 06:22 AM   #2
Dr Death
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Setting Up Air Raid Positions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock14
I have decided to run an Air Raid offense and was wondering what is the best way to set up the receiver positions of the AR. For example, I want a shiftier guy as my H receiver and a big play threat as my X. I know I could do formation subs, but is there an easier way? Also with formation subs, what would be the best way to set those up. Thanks
I know this won't answer your questions, but here's how I run it and I tend to follow Mike Leach's way and Leach has been pretty darn successful with the Air Raid.

As far as the two outside receivers, I look for bigger guys. Think Michael Crabtree at Texas Tech. He's 6'1 210, so he's not really big, but if you find receivers that are 6'1 to 6'4 as your outside guys, that should do.

As far as the inside guys, you want smaller, faster guys. Think Wes Welker. All of your receivers should be excellent at catching the ball.

As far as formation subs, I always have 11-12 WR's on my team, so I have my starting four, and they're in about half my formations. Then I have the guys who are 5-8 in formations and then 9-11 or 9-12 in maybe two formations.

One thing Leach is a big believer in is keeping the passes equal or as equal as possible. Sure, he'd have guys like Crabtree who were just stars, but he always looks at the stats at halftime and sees how divided up the receptions are. He believes that if your four starters all have 4-5 receptions each at half, and the backups all 2-3, then it makes it harder to defend because the defense can't key on one or two guys.

Now you'll have games where one guy will just be open more often, so he might have 10 or 11 receptions where everyone else is between 4 to 7. And that's fine. But you want to strive for balance there.

If you're playing on-line, that will really benefit you. If you're playing off-line, it's not that big of a deal because the CPU isn't smart enough to figure out that you're going to one or two guys a lot more than the others.

Anyway, that's how I do it and that comes directly from Mike Leach himself. Good luck with the offense. There's a lot of good Air Raid plays in the game, although the names aren't correct. If you study the Air Raid you will learn what each play is called. Anyway, best of luck!