Old 03-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #168
Maverick09
Rookie

Maverick09's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
I can't help but be frustrated after that video, because afterall, franchise has changed in small increments, and every year it seems like "next year will be the year for franchise mode improvements". This stuff IS improvement, don't get me wrong. But its hardly anything that is going to be a game changer, at least for me. I could care less what David Ortiz's OPS in 1998 was. I just don't care. I know that hardcore stat folks have been clamoring for this level of detail, and I am thrilled for them that they were listened to and they go it. But it does little to impact the feel of a Franchise mode that is going stale, at least for me. Hopefully scouting and training are better, GM mode goals are better than "win the WS in the next two years or your fired", and the morale system is something that actually impacts the game (storylines mentioned in the radio show based on upset players?) rather than something like some tiny drop in rating by -1 or +1 based on the morale of the player.

This is the third game on PS4. We're almost 1/2 way through the consoles life cycle before the next consoles launch. What we have right now is an improved PS3 experience when it comes to Franchise mode. The gameplay and graphics have taken a HUGE leap when it comes to the PS4, but Franchise mode just seems to be an afterthought. I would love to see a true next generation experience, akin to OOTP but where you can play the games. I know we're not going to get that in one year, I'm realistic. But I guess I'm just hoping of big changes to Franchise every year only to see small ones that don't really resonate much with me.

I totally agree with you though, about rushing to judgement before all the details are released. I'll reserve judgement until Thursday. I'm assuming there's more, because, like you said, how will they fill an hour long stream just by showing stats and the new FA and morale mechanic. There's gotta be more!
Good post. I love The Show, I'll be picking up 16 for sure. Just the fact that they've tuned the overpowered pitcher progression in franchise mode makes it a must-buy in my eyes.

I got the same impression as you when I looked at the dev diary video. Stat tracking is an awesome feature that was added, but it feels like something that's been pretty standard in sports game dating back a long time. So I guess in that regard, it's a nice addition but it's nothing groundbreaking.

I share a bit of the same feeling with regards to the staleness of franchise mode. This isn't directed towards SCEA in particular, but more towards sports games in general. 2K has done a great job with the NBA series in adding new features to the mode, but franchise mode still feels a bit stale. Player morale is great addition, and will likely spice up the off-season quite a bit. I would love for the prospect scouting to have been improved upon.

I'll reserve my other thoughts until we've seen the stream on Thursday; they might be holding out on other added features/improvements they've made.

Last edited by Maverick09; 03-02-2016 at 02:10 PM.