View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #375
Drew127
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: MLB The Show 16 Twitch Stream - Franchise Mode & Gameplay (Archive Available)

So, if I understand correctly, the enhanced stat tracking is now on the PS3. I find that to be interesting given that it was explained on multiple occasions that the PS3 was maxed out, and there was no space to add additional stat tracking. It was said, when people were calling for more stats on the PS3. It was explicitly stated that the PS3 was maxed out and more stat tracking was not possible.

I know I keep harping on stat tracking, but I don't care. There's so much work that remains to be done, even with the latest enhancements. Until we see stat tracking akin to what I can find on, say, ESPN.com, I will be wanting more.

By that I mean:
1. Sortable team stats
2. Player card with game log, breaking down stats from all games played in the current season (I would expect this to be reset each year in franchise, I don't expect this history to be maintained across seasons)
3. Filters for situational statistics (vs. specific team, home, road, vs. RHP, vs. LHP, by month, pre/post all star break)
4. Tracking awards won historically and having this information available on the player card (for individual awards) and having a "history" section in Franchise mode where you can see historical standings and award winners
5. Robust box scores akin to what you can find on any website (I don't expect this to be carried over across seasons)

I've said multiple times, there are no technical limitations to this, it is simply a matter of available dev resources and prioritization. I don't expect any of this to be prioritized, given the limited dev resources available and the end goal of maximizing sales.

To me, this is the main problem with console sports gaming. The target market is more casual and will never care about this stuff. As long as the dev team remains prohibitively small, and maximum profit remains the end goal, these things will be moved down the list in a hurry.

I'd love to see a game with no agenda besides to make the most authentic, in-depth, true-to-life franchise mode experience as is humanly possible. But given the state of video games and the business, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

Instead we can expect more fluff and gimmicks with card collecting and game modes that provide an arcade/RPG-like experience.
Advertisements - Register to remove