View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
Mike Lowe
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18
Elephant in the Room: AI Bullpen Usage

I know most of us are aware of it, but the AI's poor usage of their bullpen doesn't seem to be something discussed enough. It's perhaps the game's biggest flaw, simply because it's never received the proper attention in a patch or new game for what's been years now.

Here is what I just submitted to the Shownation bug report site.

Perhaps a healthy discussion will receive some attention, and we can also point out more specifics in the hopes of getting this fixed up:

https://youtu.be/MN4eGjp-Ncs?t=1h17m33s

If you watch the video above (time marked already), you'll see one example of the bullpen AI which truly taints an otherwise wonderful game (once we get carryover franchise patched up). The Pirates take a 2-run lead in the top of the 9th, yet never get their closer up to pitch. If you continue to watch the bottom of the 9th, the Tigers come back and score 3 on a Miguel Cabrera bases clearing 2B against the same exact pitcher the AI used in the 8th. This is with the manager hook slider at the default 5, and on HoF difficulty.

I love the Show, but this truly is bad bad bad. It ruins the experience, and it needs attention. The bullpen AI in this game is horendous--you never see situational matchups used correctly, and RP are typically only removed after they've done something bad. They repeatedly are pitching 1+ innings per appearance as if it were the mid-80's MLB.

Thanks for taking a look. I'm rooting for you all!
Advertisements - Register to remove