View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
bigd51
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

OVR: 0
Still too many 23+ year old's in offline franchise drafts

Out of 251 prospects so far on the scouting list before the draft, a total of 91 are 23, 24, and 25 years old which is 38% of the class. There are 23 total "blue-chip" prospects so far and 11 of them are 23 years +.

There's just no logic that fits for me to ever draft a 24 or 25 year old with a 50 overall, even if he is a "blue-chip". Overall, I think the whole scouting and prospect generation system desperately needs to be touched on. I'm tired of seeing the majors and minors overrun by guys in their 30's when you get deep into a franchise. Realistically, these guys won't hit the 40 man until they're in their 30's and after 6 years of contract renewable and arbitration stages, won't have the chance at their first big contract until 36 or so. Based on their age, their starting overalls are just too low to justify ever taking these guys yet the CPU drafts them because they're programmed to value blue-chips over anything.

I can understand 23 year olds by the math, but how can a guy 6 or 7 years removed from high school still be considered draft eligible? IRL, do they not technically become FA's after 4 years of college? And why are they considered "blue-chips" when most of the 24 and 25 year old's have overalls of 50 or 55?
Advertisements - Register to remove