View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #8
OBJ_Catch
Rookie

OVR: 0
Wanted to re-sign A. Luck in the middle of the season once.
I had around 80M$ in cash, so I assumed it was safe to lock him for 5-6 years with a Mega Deal, and go from there once FA period would it at the end of the season.
Well... Offered something along the lines of 23M$/y, maybe a 55M$ bonus, felt pretty good about it. The week after he accepts it, I'm pumped. Then I took a look at my Cash : -60M$. Minus f*in 60M. Didn't save before offering, I was done with that Franchise.

Another one with Seattle, but less staggering : Let go Kearse, kept Baldwin as my n°1 WR with a 4y 32M$ deal, drafted a 6"4 WR in the 3rd (thought I'd have to groom him for one year) and another one in the 7th, IIRC. Truth be told, I lost 32M$. Baldwin ending up having the same production as Lockett (~500 yards, 3TDs) and Kearse who signed with the Bengals ended up racking over 1,000 yards and double the TDs, for less money. Fortunately, the 3rd round WR turned out to be a monster like Calvin Johnson. 99 speed, 83 Acceleration. 1,650 yards 16TDs.

Those are the only mistakes I can remember of, I usually took a safe approach when it came to signing players, given the mechanics of the game. Just made sure my starters had a 78+ OVR and were really physical players. I'd rather Draft a guy and make sure he's a blue chip guy or eventually a late round gamble, than break the bank for a 28y old guy that may not produce. I usually sign sure fire young stars who didn't re-sign, or back up veterans who don't ask for too much money.
Maybe (and hopefully) it will change with Madden 17 and the way they changed the Defensive systems, Runners, and Interactions between WRs and DBs.