Old Man Nathy
Pro

Old Man Nathy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1024
I cant open the file on ipad or windows. Any help wouls be appreciated
Which version on Windows and, more specifically, Excel are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechman89
Hello Old Man Nathy,
I started a CFM to test out and use this scouting tool. So far, I’ve gotten up to the week of the NFL combine, and I have a few observations that I think will help aid you in updating the scouting tool. Overall, I really like the functionality of the spreadsheet and think it is very beneficial to the scouting process as a whole, so thanks again for creating it!

With that said, here are the observations/issues I came across in my ~3 hours of scouting thus far:

1.) Currently, it looks like the Draft Status cells do not take into account the order in which the Scouted Skills 1 – 3 are entered. For example, a LT must have at least one Scouted Skill at a grade of B or higher; otherwise, they should not be considered for drafting. However, one of my scouted LTs is not being removed from the Scout further Draft Status, even though his best skill, Scouted Skill 1, is Impact Blocking of C+ which does not meet the requirement of having at least one Scouted Skill at a grade of B or higher. It’s only when his third Scouted Skill, Pass Block of C-, does the Draft Status cell's logic switch the output to Do not draft. It should have said Do not draft right away after Scouted Skill 1 was entered.

2.) Similarly, the Draft Status cells do not have the logic built in to immediately remove a player from draft consideration if their first Scouted Skill Grade is lower than a specific skill requirement. For example, a MLB I scouted has his first Scouted Skill at as Block Shedding of B-. Well, if you look at the required skills for a MLB, one of them is B or higher in Tackle. Since the Scouted Skill 1 is a B-, that Tackle skill requirement can never be met; the highest it could be would also be a B-. After all 3 Scouted Skills are input, this MLB ends up being labeled as a Risky Pick, but I think he should be labeled as a Do not draft, since we know he doesn’t meet the Tackle skill requirement from the Scouted Skill 1.

3.) Lastly, and this addresses how to “fix” problem 2 listed above, I think the Scouting Requirements tab needs to have more entries in the G-column titled “Must have at least one”. Using the MLB as an example, if we are requiring the MLB to have a Tackle skill of B or above, then the G-column for the MLBs should have a B in it. In this example, if the G-column were updated to require a B for MLB, then the scouted MLB would be a Do not draft after entering just his Scouted Skill 1. Likewise, for QBs, they’d need an A- in this column, HBs would need a B, etc. all based on the highest required skill for that position. From QB all the way to CB (and technically Ks and Ps too), there should be a value in the G-column for “Must have at least one” if this cell is currently empty.

So in conclusion, I think there are some simple ways to improve upon this already robust spreadsheet. Namely that the Draft Status cells would have functionality built in that also does these two things:
a.) Checks the Scouted Skill 1 Grade, and if it is below the Scouting Requirement for "Must have at least one" rating at X or higher, then the player’s Draft Status switches immediately to Do not draft. Essentially, the order in which the Scouted Skills are entered and/or read would matter this way.
b.) By adding entries to the Scouting Requirements tab under the “Must have at least one” for all positions, the Draft Status cell will be more accurate as a result.

Again, overall this is already an awesome tool as it stands today, and I think these modifications can make it even better. Let me know what you all think!
(Sidenote - I had originally planned to insert screenshots, but was unable to do so, not sure what I'm doing wrong there...)
Thanks for the feedback! Totally agree, this is one of my bug bears with the tool currently too. My original logic was that people might not put the skills in order so the tool shouldn't assume the grade for skill 1 is always the highest or equal highest for a prospect, but I think on reflection this was the wrong way to do it.

This change is top of my to-do list for v2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273
In addition to this there should be some overrides in place to take a player from do not draft into risky or a pale green draft status. Something along the lines of if the players true value on the sheet is over X they bump up to risky or if their true value in Madden is mid 4th or higher.
I'm toying with the idea of making the draft status less black and white, and maybe give a risk rating out of 5 (or 10) based on percentage of checking criteria passed or failed. Does this sound like something people would prefer?