Old 11-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
JayBee74
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Kovalez-Ward 3 Days Away (11-19-16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Biggest fight of the year on Saturday. I'm concerned about Ward's lack of ring-time over the past few years, and I just don't know if he's back to where he was (or if he ever will be). And he's fighting a complete monster. I will be rooting for Ward, but honestly I think Kovalev will win a decision with a possible knockdown thrown in.

Of course, having said that, Kovalev's inability to get a stoppage against an ancient B-Hop may be a preview of what he's going to face in a very experienced fighter like Ward.

Either way, they don't get along, so they gotta get it on!
No concerns about Ward's physical transition to 175 from 168, simply because he won an Olympic Gold Medal at 175 pounds years ago and is currently well proportioned for a light heavyweight. That being said, when asked about handling power he will often reference Edison Miranda, a strong puncher, but still a natural middleweight whose descent started when he was beat up by Kelly Pavlik a couple of years before Ward decisioned him at 168. Kovalez hits a lot harder then that guy. In a masterful performance against Carl Froch he faded a bit in the last two rounds. Since that fight five years ago he beat a weight drained declining Chad Dawson, and four other guys a couple of tiers below him. His inactivity and opposition over the last five years does not put him on a perfect trajectory to do battle with a fighter of Kovalez's caliber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Of course, having said that, Kovalev's inability to get a stoppage against an ancient B-Hop may be a preview of what he's going to face in a very experienced fighter like Ward.
Hmmm...B-Hop did lose every round. Kovalez's technical skill combined with his power COULD be a tough problem for Ward.

Intangibles favoring Ward? He's a great fighter who is getting a lot of people to bet on him, and interviews I've seen with trainer John David Jackson show CLEAR concern-Virgil Hill is even questioning Sergio's discipline in following corner advice. This was partly brought up because GGG trainer Abel Sanchez let Kovalez go years ago because he strayed too much from the program, and apparently wasn't a joy to work with.

In other words I have NO idea who will win this fight, but it should be a great one.