View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
BritPitbull
Rookie

BritPitbull's Arena

OVR: 2
Evaluating the squad

As we can see, the roster is very unbalanced. We have 4 QBs, 9 WRs, 6 TEs, 4 Centres but no Fullback and only 1 LT and 1 DT. My scheme benefits from the following type of personnel:

QB - Balanced
HB - Balanced
FB - Blocking
WR - Speed / Balanced / Balanced
TE - Receiver
LT - Pass Blocker
LG - Balanced
C - Balanced
RG - Run Blocker
RT - Run Blocker
DE - 3-4 Run Stopper
DT - Nose Tackle
OLB - 3-4 Pass Rusher
MLB - 3-4 Tackler
CB - Man to Man
FS - Playmaker
SS - Run Support

So from our current roster, the only people worth keeping are: Crowell, Gordon, Coleman, Barnidge, Thomas, Bitonio, Greco, Shelton, Collins, Kirksey - everyone else is totally expendable.

However, the team will incur large release penalties if we release the following:
Haden $10.6m
Griffin $3.5m
Erving $3.3m
Taylor $3.0m
Ogbah $3.0m
Bryant $2.0m
Davis $2.0m
Hawkins $1.5m
McCown $1.32m
Orchard $1.2m
Williams $1.0m
Bailey $990k
Nassib $880k

All of the above have at least 2 years left on their contracts as well. Luckily, we have $64m of cap space so we can afford to throw some money away or carry dead weight and still improve the team.

I don't ever want anyone lower than level 60 on the roster, so the first move is to cut Hughlett, Hillary, Burgess, Alford, Elston, Alexander, Caldwell, none of whom cost any penalty to get rid of. I've also added everyone who is above 70 and not someone I want to keep to the Trade Block.

Looking at the trade block, there is very little out there. My first trade is for N. Robey-Coleman (CB 76) from the Bills and a 2017 3rd rd pick and 5th rd pick in exchange for J. Taylor (CB 79) and a 2018 3rd rd pick. He's not great but is a man-to-man corner and fits the scheme better and it improves my draft this year.

I also noticed that Kemal Ishmael of ATL is on the block. He is only rated 76 but is a run support strong safety and still quite young. He also has the strip ball skill. Offering A Bailey (RG 75) and T Williams (FS 76) was enough to bring him to Cleveland.

I noticed that young Panthers OLB A.J Klein (LOLB 74) was good at run stopping and coverage and had Bullrush and Strip Ball skills. So, I traded him in a straight swap for D. Davis (MLB 75) and converted him to a MLB.

I also traded for Tre Mason (HB 79) for Atkinson (HB 66) and Hawkins (WR 75) as he is young and has Cover Ball and Fights for Yards skills

I spotted that two young Cowboys were on the trade block who were average but could improve, Wilson (LOLB 76) and Wilcox (SS 83) and I took them and a 2018 3rd rd pick in exchange for Reynolds (FS 71), Ogbah (RE 74) and a 2017 3rd rd pick. I then turned Ishmael into a FS.

My one free agent signing of the week is Bruce Miller (FB 75) for $1.10m

Lastly, I change Meder to a NT for roster spot reasons and I'm nearly ready for the first week of the pre-season.

Last edited by BritPitbull; 01-18-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove