View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 06:23 AM   #1144
buckeye22
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

Amazing tool! Just finished my first draft with the Browns, and while I forgot to actually mark anything inside the tool before starting the next season and clearing it, I did write down my results so I thought I'd share.

Obviously as you all know, the Browns need...a lot of help. So my first goal was simply to stockpile picks. Any veteran I felt like wasn't in my long term plans or I had a decent replacement for was traded for whatever I could get. I ended up going into draft day armed with 16 picks including 4 first rounders. By the end of the draft I ended up selecting 17 players. Yes, 17!

1st round:

Pick 4- Phillip Ephraim, LT, 80 OVR, normal dev, 96.82 TVR

This was a no brainer. I came in targeting 3 players for the number 4 pick, and 2 of them were selected 2nd and 3rd. I have Joe Thomas firmly entrenched at LT, but my entire right side of the line is a mess. Ephraim will slide in at RT and then eventually move to the blind side once Thomas retires. Moving him to RT dropped his OVR to 78, but still a great pick.

Pick 16- Davonnie June, FS, 78 OVR, slow dev, 89.96

My entire secondary was in terrible shape, so this was the first in a series of picks to fix that. A little disappointed in the slow dev, but at 78 I'm not too worried.

Pick 30- Vondray Chistie, SS, 76 OVR, quick dev, 88.23

Part 2 of my total reconstruction of my safeties. Really excited about this one, already starter quality and quick dev to boot.

Pick 32- Rasheem Burris, CB, 74 OVR, slow dev, 88.26

One of the few times the tool let me down. Burris was marked blue chip, but with a 74 rating and slow dev it's doubtful he'll ever be more than a nickel back or fringe starter. I think I hit on 3/4 of my first rounders though. I'll take it.

2nd round:

Pick 55- Travis Raymer, ROLB, 79 OVR, normal dev, 90.62

I originally had the 36th pick, but with nothing of great value there I traded back to 55 and picked up more picks. Raymer was originally a high first round projection, but a bad combine dropped him to the 3rd. I snagged him late in the 2nd and with his dev tool still at normal I'm glad I did. He'll step in and start from day 1.

3rd round:

Pick 87- Ricky Gore, C, 76 OVR, quick dev, 89.62

I desperately needed a center, and Gore will step in and start right away. He was actually my 4th ranked center, and I was going to use my 2nd rounder on of the other 3. But a run on the position saw all 3 picked within 5 spots of where I was, leaving me with Gore. With his quick dev trait, I'm not mad.

4th round:

Pick 109- D.J. Blaylock, RT, 71 OVR, normal dev, 80.53

You're probably starting to see a trend here. I went heavy on O-line, with at least 2 starters and plenty of depth needed. Blaylock looks like nothing special, but he'll provide needed depth behind Thomas and Ephraim.

Pick 115- Lejon Johnston, LE, 72 OVR, normal dev, 80.09

This is the one pick I decided not to listen to the spreadsheet on. Johnston was listened as Do Not Draft, but with DE depth needed and a good TVR score I figured I'd take a chance. He won't start, but I don't regret going against my board and taking him.

Pick 127- Richey King, MLB, 77 OVR, superstar dev, 90.34

At this point I figured this would be my gem of the draft. He still very well could be with his superstar dev, and he'll start from day 1 in my 3-4 defense. But even bigger surprises were to come for me.

Round 5:

Pick 132- Ryker Haley, LG, 73 OVR, quick dev, 89.22

Another pick in my ongoing search for O-line depth. Won't start right away, but he looks like the type that will eventually.

Pick 134- Macon Boller, QB, 69 OVR, quick dev, 87.86

Projected to go in the middle of the 6th round, but with the decent TVR and my need for, at the least, someone to come in and compete with Cody Kessler(16/13 TD/INT ratio as a rookie. Wouldn't mind a longer look with more talent around him) I panicked a bit and took him a round early. I just didn't want to miss out on the next Tom Brady. At 69, it's doubtful he ever gets close to Brady level....but he's a nice project and could get a look this season if Kessler fails to impress me.

Pick 139- Sherman Buckner, RE, 70 OVR, normal dev, 80.33

Nothing really to see here. Solid pickup, will provide D-line depth. Traded up 5 spots to get him because there just wasn't much else on my board that made sense in round 5. Doesn't seem like the trade was really necessary at this point, but all I did was swap 5ths and gave up a 7th this year for a 7th next year. I'll live.

Round 6:

Pick 164- Hayden Katula, ROLB/RE, 79 OVR, quick dev, 89.39

Projected as a late 7th rounder (!), this was a guy I targeted early on as someone I HAD to have in the late rounds. Had one of the highest TVR's among all of my OLBs. Will immediately step in and start at RE, where his rating remained a 79. Would be my big gem of the draft, if not for.........

Pick 166- Kevin Machado, MLB, 79 OVR, quick dev, 82.52

Machado was only marked as a red chip, and with MLB being one of my positions of actual depth and finding King earlier, I almost didn't draft him. Instead I'm pretty sure I found the steal of the draft. This will mean that 3/4 of my starting LB corps will be rookies, and made DeMario Davis expendable. He and a 2018 7th round pick turned into a 1st rounder in 2018 for me.

Pick 168- Dontae Kennedy, LG, 68 OVR, normal dev, 86.30

Riding the wave of finding 2 day 1 starters in back to back picks, I turned my attention back to the O-line. Not so lucky here. Can't win them all I guess.

Pick 191- Emery Winn, RG, 70 OVR, normal dev, 79.72

Another project to build depth on the line.

Round 7:

Pick 201- Samuel Wendell, C, 69 OVR, normal dev, 85.00

May as well end the draft the way I spent most of it. Building line depth. Likely won't be anything special, but I really won't need him to be.

Really excited about this draft. I found 8 players good enough to start right now, with 2-3 more that I could envision starting at some point in the future. The Katula/Machado combo in the 6th round was something I never dreamed I could stumble into.

Thanks to Old Man Nathy for this great tool, and if anyone actual sat and read through 17 picks, thank you. You're the real MVP lol.