View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #1203
CalQLD
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

I've just gone through my 3rd draft with this tool and thought I'd share some observations.

1. You can get studs from projected Undrafted.
Long story short I had a glut of picks to use and needed a DT. There was not a single DT in the entire draft class so I began looking at strong DE to move across.

An undrafted round player had the 35 reps on the bench press so I scouted his skills. The tool said Do Not Draft as a DE, however he became Blue Chip as a DT.

I took him anyway and he is a 72 as a RE and 78 as a DT. Ranked #79 in true talent.

They are risky to scout but they are out there.

2. Talent Round Matters

I often see players who skills look great but they get DND. This usually comes down to talent round. If you bump the talent round up 1, they become draftable. Don't draft them unless you want sub-70.

3. OLB and DE don't work perfectly in the tool

I kinda got burnt on the last draft. ROLB ranked 3 on TVR at 95. The only player in draft I actually wanted, took him at #3 and he turned out to be a 74OVR, #22 in TT.

Looking at his stats however, he is great in what his position needs 3-4 pass rush but his Tackle and Play Recognition are a little low. This is why his OVR is low. I think he will be a stud in 3-4 but the OVR doens't reflect.

I'm yet to find a Red Chip OLB over 68. So beware.

DE are similar.

Big stud blue chips are easy to find but red chips can burn you with sub-70s.

This last draft the best 2 DE were both Red Chips.

They looked great on skills but didn't have "One B+ from Pursuit, Block Shedding, Finesse Moves or Power Moves", so they were Red not Blue despite multiple B+. Both came out at 78 OVR.

4. The tool kills it with OL and CB

There are almost always 75+ Linemen as late as round 6,

Finding 78 cornerbacks in round 3-7 is quite common too, draft the blue chips.

5. Negative Draft Stories are More Important Than Positive

While finding someone has Superstar development might be a nice tie breaker, Negative stories allow you to find great players in the later rounds.

I always draft early to make sure I get players (eg draft in rnd 2 someone projected for rnd 3-4) but these are some of the outcomes from negative draft stories in the last 2 drafts I've done.

CB-78 OVR- #9 TT at #55- Normal Dev(Poor All Star Game)
LE- 78 OVR- #13 TT at #21- Normal Dev (Poor Pro Day)
QB- 84 OVR- #1 TT at #39- Slow Dev (Left Team)
LE- 78 OVR- #6 TT at #78- Quick Dev (Major Injury)