View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 04:17 AM   #2
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden ratings and Simulation football.

(a) For rookies in Franchise, you already get combine results, and they correlate pretty well with ratings. So, to implement what you suggest, all you would need is to replace ratings with combine results.

(b) I do NOT like the idea of the user having to do combine drills to determine ratings. That will be cool two times and then turn into busy work thereafter.

(c) All you have to do to make ratings seem more realistic is to do the following two things: (1) Have combine results available in the roster view, and (2) replace 1-99 ratings with Very Bad, Bad, Average, Good, Great, and Elite, where there is wiggle room at each partition (allowing for variance that isn't exactly quantified). These two things together would give you a very good idea about how fast a player is without putting it into a specific numerical rating.

As for things that aren't measured in the combine, all you have to do is the exact same rating scale listed above: Very Bad, Bad, Average, Good, Great, and Elite. This is more or less exactly what scouting services do anyway (although some use numerical rankings, some add brief descriptions, and so on).

So, you can have mostly hidden ratings without forcing the user to "test" every player. Essentially all you would have to do is effectively replace 1-99 with combine and scouting reports, like I suggest above.

In fact, you could still use a number system, just one that only has a few partitions, i.e., 1-6, where 6 would contain all the elite players in that category, and once again there would be variance (but combine numbers would help distinguish between players in each category, and of course this information would be presented on the roster screen).

How this would look in the roster screen is you'd layer each position vertically, and to the right of that column you would list each player's combine numbers followed by their ranking (bad, elite, good, etc., or 1-6 or 7 if you wanted).

But making the player do extra work to determine ratings would not be fun at all, except as a draft thing.