View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #3629
JoshC1977
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's M17 Sliders

Sort of a random post, but recent comments got me thinking of a lot of different "little" things I do when I play they maybe others don't. I wouldn't call these "house rules" but more my "style of play" which I feel adds layers of realism. You're going to notice a lot of these are centered around the user passing game....which I feel is the number 1 area where you can really skew the game.
  1. Pocket play. Watch Twitch or Youtube...you see guys either a) dropping back 10-15 yards or b) rolling out ....ON EVERY SINGLE PLAY. Hey, I used to do it too and in past games where pocket formation in Madden was more myth than reality, it was a necessary evil. With the enhanced line play we see with the OP set, pockets actually form more realistically. So, let's take advantage of that. Edge rushers coming? Step up into the pocket and let your tackles steer them around and behind you...it is so satisfying to elude the rush with a simple step forward. But, it does something else...you can actually see the passing lanes form. It totally changes the coverage dynamic, routes that were previously thought of as "money" may not be. Your QB's position in the pocket, relative to the passing lane, WR position, and DB position is going to alter the dynamics of the throw. Yes, it is harder, but it forces you to understand your patterns and the timing on routes in an effort to get the ball out on-time. Another added benefit, I see more holding calls this way.
  2. Re-defining an "open" receiver. In NFL parlance, you have 1 step on a receiver, you're open....use this adage in Madden. Target the primary on the route following this rule. Obviously, if you read safety/LB help, you go the secondary read. Far too often, I see people take the "safe and easy" dump throw and rely on stick skills to get RAC yardage. Of course their completion percentages are too high and the game becomes too easy for them. Focus on making the appropriate throws to your primaries and then reading to the secondary/tertiary receivers.
  3. Tied into the other two, use the left stick, use L1/L2...use all of the passing controls. While the sticks are not as sensitive as I would like (oh, how do I miss the pass lead sensitivity slider), using all of the passing controls really makes the game harder (yet more rewarding). I'm also beginning to realize how you can use certain combos to increase the likelihood of drawing DPIs.
  4. Catch options. I do not control and move my receiver before the catch but I will use the three catch types based on the situation...it adds another little layer of complexity to the game IMO.
  5. Run game...pretty simple; I follow the play design. But frankly, with these sliders, it is pretty tough to "cheese" the run game (though, on occasion, it is possible tp unrealistically run stretch plays way too far outside just by jamming on the turbo...I just don't do that).
  6. Defense: the main thing for me here is that I am not afraid to player switch. When switching on pass plays, I do try to focus more on swats or hitting the receiver rather than 'ball-hawking' every time. I also use the strip tackle functionality a fair bit (especially on pass breakups). It is double-edged sword as it can result in more facemask calls and broken tackles, but it adds to the variety.
  7. Audibles. I don't use them a lot...I don't think it is entirely reasonable to change every WR route on every play via audible. I have considered applying a fun little option where I use the QB's awareness to dictate what sort of audibles the "coach allows him to call". For example, Brady can do anything...but a low awareness rookie may only be allowed to flip a play. Not sure how I will set this up (or if I will), but it is another fun little way of injecting some "sim" into the game.
No real point to this post....but maybe others will find some of this helpful....