View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #26
roadman
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 18 Interview with Rex Dickson (SimFBallCritic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I'm optimistic for madden 18, having loved 17. A few of the small additions like off ball injuries, draft board, and improved player regression along with the new power of the frostbite engine is enough to please me. But I cringed several times during the interview, it was almost hard to get through.

Everytime I hear about how many resources went into the longshot mode I cringe. I feel like they should be putting all resources into getting the on field and off the field stuff nailed down before starting a whole new mode which Rex even admits is a risk.

Furthermore, I cringed when he said how other games like 2K and MLB have a my player career mode so they felt like they had to have their own, but they wanted longshot to be something different. Im sure many people would welcome a mode like my player, where you can customize a character. Instead we are stuck with pre-made player, and don't even get to play in the NFL. These are very popular and successful modes in other games, why change it up? Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

And finally, I cringed once more when Rex said that they added sideline interactions when you run out of bounds, because '2K football had that 10 years ago'. There is a huge list of things 2K football did 10 years ago, yet this is what they pick? How about defensive back matchups where you can actually pick a defender and receiver - a simple feature 10 years ago that still trumps Maddens 18 'new' match-up feature. Or how about weekly highlight shows and a draft show. Things people have begged to have for 10 years. And we get sideline interactions instead.

Madden 18 has a lot of nice additions like I said, and if you line them up it looks great. I'll be pre-ordering as always. But when I watch interviews like this it always shocks me just how disconnected Rex and others speaking for Madden seem to be from a large portion of the sim community despite saying they are sim guys. Each new exciting bit of information from these interviews seems to always find itself sandwiched inbetween 2 things that either leave you confused or wondering what could have been.

I love where their product is at right now and where its headed, and I trust them, to an extent. But I'm often unable to understand where the devs are coming from with some of the choices and comments they make, which is something I've not experienced before on the same level with other gaming companies I follow. Sometimes things just don't seem to make any sense at all. Just when you think you're on to same page as them they come up with something like longshot. This is my favorite madden dev team but it's definitely frustrating to say the least. It's been bittersweet.

Sent from my HTC Desire 625 using Tapatalk
I agree with a lot of this, but there are a few things:

1) Aren't WR/DB matchups in 18? That was a feature that was presented during EA Play.

2) I think a lot of things the Developers would love to get to are put on the back burner with the suits and marketing and I don't think that has changed in the last decade or so.