View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
Iteachpercussion
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Classic Roster Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplatypus
I didn't mean to say it's not possible to edit the draft class, I meant that it's not practical for the average user to edit an entire draft class after each season. Editing names, ages, appearance, college, ratings, etc. is pretty time consuming. Especially if you are trying to recreate a specific year. Adjusting contracts also takes forever. You can easily have multiple hours into editing a draft class that is only available in that particular franchise save. If a person is okay with a random class and just wants to keep the ratings in line with a specific roster, it obviously takes much less time.

I checked 3 random draft classes for an idea of the incoming draft class overalls on M17. It looked to me based on this small sample that there are around thirty to forty 75-79 overalls, thirty to forty 70-74 overalls and over a hundred 66-69 players coming into the league on average. If these results are typical for most users then I would set a ratings scale of:

90-99 All Pro/HOF'er
85-89 Pro Bowler
79-84 Above average starter
73-78 Average starter
68-72 Below average starter

That's without editing any player in the draft class and is in line with how the Official ratings are set. I think you may be able to lower overalls 5 points more on a classic roster without the CPU replacing them if a user adjusts the ratings downwards of those 75 overall or higher players. Any overalls for starters lower than that and each team will be drafting 4-5 starters every year without heavy editing to the draft class by the user.

You can also set overalls based on a curve for each position instead for the entire roster. Let's say you make a roster with multiple 90+ rated fullbacks, you can still have your top rated quarterback as an 87 overall. As long as each players overall rating is scaled to their position, then the overall ratings for the roster as a whole don't matter as much.

* I just tried creating an in his prime Christian Okoye at Hb and he had a 78 overall. I thought I even embellished some of his ratings. He would likely be a priority replacement for the CPU if the player isn't adjusting the incoming draft class ratings. I didn't try to move him but I'm sure he would have a 99 rating if I changed him to Fb. I haven't edited much in M17 and that was a bit of an eye opener.
You are right, if you try to redo an entire draft class each year to make it true to life, it is a VERY time consuming process and one that most users have no interest in. That is not necessarily my goal.

Your findings on draft class OVRs is in line with what I have noticed as well. This allows, with the ratings I normally use, for my rosters to be used without too much trouble, at least for a couple of seasons.
If I used the ratings that I feel create the best possible game play as well as sim stats, it requires editing rookies mostly with the QBs. Some RBs and WRs may need need editing as well, but to a lesser extent.

Making Okoye is a tough and you are right, if you make him true to life, he ends up low OVR and the CPU will draft a replacement. I am okay with embellishing some, but I think the players begin to lose their identity with too much.

Madden makes most WRs too good as well, and it is difficult to make them "fit" correctly. In order to get a guy into the upper 80s OVR you have to have really high numbers in all of the major categories.

For most of the rosters I have made, I do something like you mentioned, curving the OVRs by position. Not only the OVRs, but other ratings as well. I create a kind of min/max for each position and the major ratings for that position. Occasionally a superstar goes above the max. For example, I tend to make TEs slower than they really are because of how Madden works. In the modern NFL there are more TEs who contribute. Linebackers are not good enough in coverage on Madden to keep up with most average TEs. So, I slow down the TEs and drop their receiving ratings. That is, except for the big name guys who really stood out.