View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #1057
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

It's Official: UConn, BC to square off in Gillette rematch this fall

UConn and Boston College have announced that the two New England rivals will play each other for the second time in the Bob Diaco era this fall, and will look toward setting up a game annually in coming years.

The September 12th game will take place at Gillette Stadium with a 7:00 start time and will be broadcast on ESPN as well as NESN and other local television outlets.

The two teams most recently met in 2018, with that game also taking place at Gillette. The then-reigning national champion UConn Huskies won that matchup 21-12.

Ever since UConn's rapid ascent into the upper tier of college football programs in the later stages of the 2010s, games between the two rivals have becoming more appealing. Boston College has had some success in recent years as well, going to the ACC Title Game in 2017 and finishing in the top 10 of the final AP polls last year. The Eagles are expected to be ranked in the preseason top 25 this fall.

Adding more intrigue to the game is the matchup between the head coaches on the opposing sidelines. Diaco once employed now-Boston College head coach Mike Cummings as the team's offensive coordinator. Cummings left UConn to take the Western Michigan head coaching job for the 2016 season and assumed the Boston College job the next year. Cummings sports a 31-22 career record. The 47-year old Diaco of course is a national champion coach (2017) and a two-time conference champion coach (2016 and 2017 in the American) who sports a 60-21 career record in his six seasons at UConn.

Both sides stated they are excited for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Diaco
I love a good rivalry game. And I love to beat up on turds who think they're the better team in New England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cummings
Bob and I have a great relationship and I'm looking forward to seeing his bunch once again. We played them well last time but we've improved a lot since then. It will be a great game for fans of New England football and college 'ball in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn A.D. Bobby Valentine
Don't get me wrong, I love rivalry games and am excited to see our guys battle BC once again. But Boston shafted me once, and I'll see to it they don't do it again.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
Be careful what you promise now. I don't want any controversies surrounding the program when we get a bowl invite after a 3-9 season lol. I may just need to take an OC position at a different school if one is offered to me this offseason
I would never edit bowl games outside of playoff purposes.. but I am very very confident. We shall see soon enough...

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.