Old 08-22-2017, 02:40 AM   #15
BleedGreen710
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

first game impressions, default all pro simulation

Eagles (Me) vs Cowboys 12min. Quarters with 15 Seconds Run Off

First of all the game looks outstanding. I was mesmerized by the graphics and was so happy being able to see them on my own TV finally. The gameplay in general just feels smoother, and animations play out more realistically. Momentum felt like it had more of an effect. Also saw a few new animations that looked really nice. Now onto the gameplay..

I know the Eagles have a great defensive line but I was not expecting to get so many sacks, especially against a very good Dallas offensive line. With no particular defensive gameplan, and using the suggested plays, I managed 11 sacks. Brandon Graham had 6 of them. There were only a few where my lineman got to the QB quickly, the rest were just Dak standing there until my guys reached him. He never scrambled once the whole game besides the run to the sideline thing the CPU always does. Concerning to see so many sacks against a good offensive line, and to see the CPU QB never take off and run. I'm hoping this game was a fluke.

Running the ball was way too easy. Blount is good but I could have had the same success or more with anyone with decent speed. First contact was typically made 5 or more yards past the line of scrimmage, and was usually one of the safetys or corners. The Cowboys leading tacklers were both corners and safetys. That should never be the case especially with a big power back like Blount. Finished with 24 carries 154 yards. I'll have to be adjusting the run block slider again this year to make it much harder, I think I had it on 35 last year.

Passing was also way too easy. I haven't played Madden in like 6 months and I threw for over 400 yards with Wentz using the suggested plays, on only 20 attempts. Short routes feel automatic. Next game I'll be putting the coverage and reaction time sliders at 99 like I used in Madden 17 and see if that makes a difference. I did not use target passing.

As for the CPU offense, Dak was 19/23 for 1 TD and 0 INT. It was very similar to Madden 17, check down throws, didnt take any chances, didnt scramble, didnt make any inaccurate throws, it was bad. All his longest completions were on plays where he would sit in the pocket for like 10 seconds and his receivers would stop their routes and come back to the quarterback. Coverage seems to always break down when this happens leading to easy completions. And remember the Eagles have probably the worst cornerbacks in the game - but it never felt like a weakness.

Elliot's first run was 75 yards untouched up the middle and he also scored on a 70 yard screen pass for a touchdown, also untouched. Just got the perfect blocks each time. Besides that he didn't do much at all. Couldn't get much of a feel for the CPU running game, it had its good moments and bad moments.

Special Teams was uneventful, and more of the same. Kicking seems automatic, as I missed the mark on the accuracy part every time but still made every kick. Also the CPU had a 10 yard punt, it just went straight up in the air basically. When it came down it hit my returner in the helmet during the catch animation leading to a fumble. This happened in Madden 17, sadly still happens in 18.

In the stick skills department, I was not able to successfully execute any of the new jukes and spin animations. Practice is needed. But trucking was as powerful as ever. Hit Sticking on defense felt harder to do and when I did finally land one I forced a fumble and fell on it so that felt very rewarding.

The Commentary remains the same, its as repetitive as ever. Mostly the same lines as before. Charles Davis talks for a long time and goes over into the next play which is annoying. If I have to hear about Carson Wentz being sneaky athletic again I might have to use a different team. It was also disappointing after my 7th sack or so they stopped announcing how many sacks I had and would repeat the same line over and over after each successive sack. Something about how this offense has such a tough time getting things going cause they have absorbed so many sacks. I thought they would say something when I got sack #10 but they just repeated the same line.

Didn't see any penalties all game, and there was one off ball injury.

Presentation was about the same except the awesome new pre-game team run outs which is one of my favorite things about the game.

Next game I'm going to adjust some sliders and try the same matchup hopefully it will play out better.

Last edited by BleedGreen710; 08-22-2017 at 02:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove