Old 08-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #74
Teddy_Long
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword

Cons:

1) CPU QB AI and play calling exactly like last year. This is a massive legacy issue now. If they don't commit to improving AI a lot, this is my last Madden purchase for the foreseeable future. Sliders can not nor will ever fix this. And CPU AI needs to be really looked at for us who do not play online!!! Otherwise the game will be dead to me after this cycle. I am really getting fed up with the lack of care into looking at playcalling and QB AI on the CPU level. We are the pioneer Madden gamers who enabled this game to become what it is today. And we continue to be the ones spending our money on it. Yet the AI is still......sub-par. It really is infuriating to me. I am probably one of the most positive sports gamers here on OS.....I know how to work with what I got and have fun with it. But two straight years of this type of QB AI is unacceptable. It is a fundamental flaw in that it is the most important position on the field and the AI is inept at it. I have to neuter myself with multiple house rules to play the AI.....and with games like The Show, NBA 2K hell even NHL......I don't. I can play the CPU and get a good challenge without compromising the way I play. I can't do that with Madden. And quite frankly it has been this way since the beginning. I figured hey they made 3 different playing settings....but all they did was call last years game simulation mode and made the real changes to the online players. I get it. MUT is huge. Online leagues are great. But the offline gamer has been left in the cold and this is to me.....a slap in the face. AI is critical to offline franchise gameplay on and off the field. Off the field they made some improvements. But if the on-field gameplay is meh.....who cares about off the field. It won't matter.

Really....that is the big con but it is a huge one.

If offline players don't have a good AI opponent.....the game looses it's luster fast. Somehow I managed to play two full cycles (16 and 17) and had a blast. But I am sitting here playing 18.....and this time I saying.....not this again. Can I really play this game for another cycle in this state with the AI? I actually pondered that after finishing my second game and was streaming (sorry to my audience but I was in vent mode this morning). I pondered returning this game today. Because although I love the improvements as stated above, the core soul of the game for me is the CPU AI and playing against them.....and they are exactly the same....no improvements were made. And yes......I have played hundreds of games between 16 and 17....so it was easy to spot this in 2 full games. I am not sugar coating this. The AI is exactly the same as 17 on the field.
wow, i haven't bought madden since '15 or so. i can't believe this game has not address the same issues than u and others have tried to point out years ago. this is madden 18?! lol