View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #1223
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

Red-hot Wolverines vault into playoff talks with upset win over Nebraska; four teams fight for last two playoff spots as UConn, Oregon are in

Vandy wins first conference title in 97 years, Florida State destroys Duke

ACC: Florida State 65, #15 Duke 7
W. Humphrey (QB, FSU): 22-30, 414 yds, 5 TD, 4 rush, 102 yds, TD

AAC: Temple 31, Navy 28
M. Mason (RB, TEM): 20 rush, 118 yds

Big 10: #9 Michigan 23, #2 Nebraska 21
Q. Baker (CB, MICH): 5 tckl, INT, FF, FR

Big 12: #1 UConn 30, Oklahoma State 17
L. Williamson (RB, UCONN): 34 rush, 217 yds, 2 TD

C-USA: David Hamilton’s Fightin’ Old Dominion Monarchs 48, Texas State 28
David Hamilton (QB, ODU): 15-18, 286 yds, 2 TD, rush TD

MAC: Toledo 28, #17 Miami-OH 23
C. Collier (RB, TOL): 19 rush, 114 yds, 2 TD

MWC: #12 Fresno State 33, New Mexico 28
M. Patterson (QB, FRES): 23-36, 277 yds, 3 TD

Pac-12: #3 Oregon 48, #16 Colorado 24
S. DeWeaver (QB, ORE): 17-21, 290 yds, 3 TD, 25 rush, 98 yds, 2 TD

SEC: Vanderbilt 38, #14 Arkansas 35
J. Gonzalez (RB, VANDY): 27 rush, 156 yds, 2 TD

-----------------------

Nebraska's Merriman wins Heisman over UConn's Williamson in tight vote

Nebraska running back Andy Merriman was awarded the 2020 Heisman Trophy at the Downtown Athletic Club in New York on Saturday.

The Huskers' feature back only since week 2 when their starter went down hurt, Merriman put together a record breaking season for Nebraska. The senior ran 368 times for a school record 2,249 yards and 26 TDs. Merriman emerged in the Heisman race around mid season and held the top spot for the majority of the second half.

Merriman won by only 77 points over UConn's sophomore tailback Luke Williamson, who made a late push with a 217-yard showing in the Big 12 Title Game. Williamson has ran for 1,840 yards and a school record 25 TD's on the ground this season while being the focal point of the top-ranked Huskies offense. Williamson could not quite take home UConn's first Heisman, instead settling for the runner up spot much like Josh Marriner did in 2017.

Also invited to the Heisman ceremony were Miami of Ohio's Jesse Scales, also a 2000 yard rusher, and USC quarterback Cam Miles, who won the Maxwell Award as the top player in the nation. Miles finished fifth. Oregon's star QB Se'Nelquez DeWeaver finished fourth.

The remainder of the top ten looks as follows: Ole Miss sophomore QB Devon McCullough finished sixth, Fresno State QB Michael Patterson finished seventh, followed by Auburn tailback Braylon Norton, Rutgers QB Rian Scott and Notre Dame QB Lance Ward.

-----------------------

Shav Wade, Altarri Gardner take home National Awards

The legend of Shavlion Wade continues to grow. The true sophomore continued his legendary season by taking home the Thorpe Award for the nation's top defensive back, as well as the Bednarik Award, given to the best defensive player in the nation.

Wade has had one of the best statistical seasons in school history for a defensive back, tallying 39 tackles, 10 pass deflections and a dizzying 10 interceptions, with one of those being returned back 98 yards for a touchdown against Michigan in September.

Wade wasn't the only Husky to take home some hardware this season. Defensive end Altarri Gardner, a first year starter as a junior, won the Lombardi Award for the nation's top interior lineman. Gardner continues UConn's trend of statistical leaders at the defensive end spot, as Gardner is the nation's leading sack artist at 13. Gardner also has 20 tackles for loss and a forced fumble.

-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookWork123
Nice job getting back to the playoff! Now go get that natty!
Thanks BookWork! We'll certainly do our best.. with a team as hot as we've been since I-Jax's insertion into the lineup, we really have a shot at Natty #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
Great win fellas. I'm itching to see how the rest of the games played out, and what the committee decides to do with Arkansas State
We shall see what everything looks like soon enough! As in, next post soon enough! Wasn't our best game by any stretch, but luckily for us we didn't need to play perfectly. I'm very excited to play through the CFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBritishGuy
Revenge!! Great win, now onto the big show I'm sure, let's hope Williamson shows up for that one with another 200 yard performance!
Thank you! I was happy to net Williamson a great game -- considering the way he's carried our offense for a lot of the season, if he plays well in the playoff we're going to be a very tough out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundingThird
I'm glad my new home field was so good to you. Go bring home another Natty for us back in Storrs.
I'll do my very best! Oregon is going to be a tough matchup if we draw them. As I've already said, with Williamson and the play of the defense the last six weeks or so, I think we have a real shot for a second title..

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.

Last edited by thesportsguru11; 08-23-2017 at 08:59 AM.