View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: NHL 18 Features New Player Overall Rating Changes

I think the reason players feel bland is because the ratings are too similar within each section. I think strengths and weaknesses need to be more distinct -- based on real data and scouting/reputation -- to give players more character.

It shouldn't be uncommon to see a player with a good wrister, but weak slapper (Kessel) or vice versa (a lot of D-men). Nor should a player almost always have passing, puck control, and deking be the same. For me, many NHL-level defensemen today merit something like an 80-85 passing rating, but more like 75-80 control and 65-70 deking. And when it comes to awareness and defensive ratings, let's see long-time cagey vets with high AWR ratings -- and young players with lower ones (that improve over their career), particularly on DEF AWR. Drafted a slick, skilled rookie you want to play in NHL at 18? Better watch his minutes with his 60 DEF AWR, not to mention 65 STR & 70 END.

As for skating, while I can see having a fairly narrow range of ratings at the NHL level, you can still give the players more unique feel by varying the ACC/AGL/BAL ratings within those 20 or so points (75-95). Yeah, if 80 is average NHL speed, many players will be 80-85. But a PWF-type with 85SPD/75ACC/75AGL/90BAL will feel a lot different than a smaller, quicker guy with 85SPD/90ACC/80AGL/75BAL. Then try controlling McDavid with 95SPD/95ACC/90AGL/80BAL. Really, I could do this all day...

Anyway, the ratings brackets are encouraging and should help somewhat with franchise issues. But until there are more apparent strengths & weaknesses within the individual ratings, players will continue to feel too similar.
Advertisements - Register to remove