View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #1262
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

Archie turning pro

Already set to lose their top four wide receivers to graduation, UConn has received another big blow in the pass catching department. Redshirt junior tight end Royce Archie, a two year starter, has announced that he will declare for the NFL Draft this spring.

Archie, a transfer from West Virginia in June 2018, emerged late to finish as the second-leading receiver for UConn in 2020, finishing with 45 catches for 608 yards and 5 touchdown grabs. Archie was at his best in the playoff for the Huskies this year, catching a total of 12 passes for 201 yards against Nebraska and Oregon.

As such, Archie's draft stock has risen and viewed now as the optimal opportunity to take the next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce Archie
I appreciate everything Coach Diaco, Coach Cubit and the rest of the UConn family has done for me. They welcomed me in with open arms in the summer of 2018 and coming to Storrs has been the best decision I ever made. However, my dream has always been to play in the NFL. I have my degree off the field, and on the field, now seems to be the best opportunity to throw my hat in the ring. I wish the staff and all of the players nothing but the best moving forward.
Archie's departure will leave UConn thin at tight end with just two returning players at that position: Fifth year senior Ryne Thomas from Tiverton, RI, and senior Ja'Montres Jones from New Jersey. UConn has not been actively seeking any tight ends on the recruiting trail this year.

Thomas started a couple games in 2019 when Archie was injured, but both have been career backups otherwise. Thomas has 24 catches for 337 yards and two scores in his career, while Jones has 10 career catches for 144 yards and a touchdown.

-------------------

Williamson, Jackson, Cox each spurn NFL Draft; cite "unfinished business"

Three of UConn's stars seem unhappy about how the 2020 season ended.

In a joint press release, junior quarterback Isaac Jackson, redshirt sophomore tailback Luke Williamson and junior linebacker John Cox each announced their intentions to return to UConn for the 2021 season, turning down the NFL.

Quote:
After much thought, we decided that we can't leave on that note.
We're returning to UConn for one more year -- one that will end with a national championship.
Jackson struggled against Oregon in the CFP Title Game, tossing three interceptions while playing his worst game of the season. Williamson missed the title game altogether, having suffered a lower back injury in the semifinal game against Nebraska.

Though Jackson and Cox were a part of the national title winning team in 2017, both were redshirted as true freshmen and didn't play. Both said that they want to win one while playing a meaningful role.

Both All-Americans, Cox and Williamson will return for their third years as starters in 2021. Cox tallied 96 tackles in 2020 and garnered 2nd team All-American honors. Williamson of course finished second in the Heisman race after running for 1900 yards and a school record 27 touchdowns.

Jackson, barring injury or other off the field drama, is expected to hold the quarterback job from Week 1 on in 2021. The Georgia native threw for 2,700 yards and 17 touchdowns despite starting just 10 games last season; he was viewed as a possible mid-round prospect had he declared. Jackson won the starting QB job for good over Tanner Dean-Lowry in October; Jackson also started seven of the last eight games in 2019.

Jackson's decision to stay could spell intrigue for TDL; now a senior, TDL graduated in three years and can utilize a grad transfer as a true senior. Additionally, there are several young players at QB whom Coach Diaco would take a long look at for the future, including sophomore Alex Paige, redshirt freshman T.J. Appleby and incoming commit Kelly Carlson. Despite his inconsistent play at QB, many big-time programs in need of a quarterback would surely extend a scholarship his way if he elects to take that route.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.

Last edited by thesportsguru11; 09-09-2017 at 04:59 PM.