Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #839
JoshC1977
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Flazko's Madden 18 Sliders and Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flazko
So I wanted to share a little something with everyone, there's been chatter of using different gameplan / playbooks for the cpu to get more variety of plays. Well it sucks for those who only have 1 controller as 2 controllers is needed for that process. I was trying to find ways of doing it without needing that extra controller, there was no success. I did however find something else that is interesting. So there's always been general playbooks in Madden, such as: Run N Gun, West Coast, Balanced, Air Raid, Ect. This got me thinking, what if I matched each playbook to the appropriate teams. Assign West Coast to teams who have that playstyle, Ect . So I went into Coach Settings inside CFM, there you can edit schemes, thats where you find where you can assign playbooks. Unfortunately, you cannot assign downloaded or custom playbooks to teams, but you can assign the general playbooks I listed. So I tested a few games where I assigned those general playbooks to the appropriate teams. I went into the menu where you select your uniforms and playbooks, Ect. You cannot edit any of that for the team you are not controlling unless you used an other controller. So what I did is I created an other character inside my franchise, for example, I chose the Giants since I would be playing them as the Cowboys week 1. I now control Giants and Cowboys, so by simply clicking in the right stick you can switch between characters, so I changed to the Giants, went to coaches settings and then into schemes and assigned a Balance playbook to the giants just for testing, I then went into the menu to begin the game and saw the playbook was changed. I then backed out, changed to my Cowboys, then changed back immediately to the Giants went into start the game and checked if the playbook was still assigned to the Giants, it was! I then backed out and changed to Cowboys and this time I started the game. What a difference in play calling I saw. I saw the difference because I'm used to playing vs the giants twice a year every year, sometimes even three times. This got me thinking, "What if I look up each team's play style according to Profesional Journalists and assign these playbooks accordingly to each team". So I went and looked online, found a nice source and started assigning teams different offensive playbooks, decided I won't mess with defense, yet. So of course I had to create a character (Owner) for every team in order to set this up. I did not retire from the teams because if you do so you can never join that team again, unless you restart. After I was done assigning all the teams, I went and changed to different teams and started a few games, almost every game week 1. I played almost a full quarter in each game, if I had the ball I was punting right away to the cpu so they could have the ball so I could test this. I saw better play calling, qbs making more audibles at times (probably would see more with a higher clock run off) and also saw what looked like a variety of plays. I didn't see the same play twice, at least I didn't notice, but the best part of all was.. I saw each and every team playing the way they were supposed to. Atlanta looked like a spread, Matt Ryan was throwing about 90% of the plays, I saw maybe 4-5 running plays, Atlanta is primarily a passing team. When I was the Browns vs Pittsburgh I saw the Steelers with great balance, running to passing ratio was about 60% running and 40% passing, it was really close, I also saw Big Ben airing it out deep in the middle most passing plays. I think I may have found a little something that is pretty intriguing and I'm gonna continue to take a look at it, maybe an other hour or so and if it looks appealing I will go head and do this little "trick" for my cfm. Sorry for the long post.

Edit: My purpose for this test, is to see if I can get each and every team to play true to their playstyle and see a variety of plays. I would like them to reach into their playbook more . And yes this test was while using my QB Trait Edit Roster.
Oh yes, the generic playbooks definitely work better (basically because the 'star system' is fleshed-out a bit better in those generic playbooks). I'm probably going down this path myself, but I am doing a total revamp with a simmed fantasy draft (creating all new coaches, changing play-styles for teams, etc.)....basically re-inventing the league....so I won't be looking to put together anything for real-life teams and so on.

The only real downside is that some team-specific formations won't be there...but my guess is that 90% of people wouldn't even notice that (except maybe for "their teams").

It's definitely a nice 'middle ground' for those (like myself) who don't want to deal with the craziness needed to assign custom playbooks to CPU coaches.