Old 09-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #562
tarheelguy4736
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I was on the fence on getting the game, but ultimately decided to purchase it, and I already regret it.

Madden never has a particularly long shelf life for me, I typically lose interest in November or so due to the game's issues, but here it is mid September and I am fed up.

The issues I have may be patchable, but I get the impression that the developer's have no desire to make the changes I would like to see.

Sim style gameplay is not sim, it is arcade. Every game turns into a shootout. I play with the Ravens and in my games both teams end up averaging around 7.2 yards per play. The highest last year was 6.7, and only 4 teams eclipsed 6 yards per play.

Again, this is with the Ravens offense and defense, on top of the fact that I tend to play a conservative style of play.

Most of my games have at least one defensive touchdown. It is a minor miracle if both teams do not give up one 50+ yard TD pass.

I'm fed up with using sliders to fix these issues. I lower pass accuracy to get deep accuracy under control and QBs still hit the deep ball but instead are 5 yards off on slants and drags.

Gameplay has regressed this year, and with the state of franchise there is nothing that saves this game.
I bought this game the day it came out and have only played a handful of games since then, which is sad. In years past, I would already be deep in a franchise but now you basically have to wait so that things can get patched and corrected. I also dont play any of the Ultimate Team stuff or compete against anyone online, so all that is irrelevant to me.

I also believe with Madden being the only football game around, kind of diminishes the urgency to make it the game everyone wants it to be. We have nothing to compare it to or anything it has to compete with. NCAA Football was really the only thing it could be compared to, so if one team was doing something right then people wanted the other team to take notice for next years game. It was basically a back and forth between the two about which game was better each year. Now that NCAA is gone, we no longer have that and I honestly feel like Madden has lost its appeal (in my own personal eyes).

Maybe I will get back in to it, but for now I am just not excited by the game as in years past. It just looks and feels the same as '17 with no big improvements.