View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 09:47 PM   #1319
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

Colts take Ohio State offensive dynamo King 1st overall in ‘21 Draft

After a miraculous and highly improbable season, Ohio State tight end/running back Charles King’s incredible nine month rise culminated in New York City with a handshake from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. King was the first overall selection in the 2021 NFL Player Selection Meeting, being drafted by the Indianapolis Colts, who are one year removed from a Super Bowl loss.

King became an enigma in the college football world midway through the season. After injuries to both of Ohio State’s top running backs, the tight end King slid into the backfield in their place. King proceeded to run for 1300 yards and added 60 catches for 800 more yards receiving. King received the Mackey Award as the nation’s top tight end, and was named a unanimous first-team All-American, shooting to the top of draft boards in a weak draft class.

Tight ends were taken at an alarming and historic rate in the first round, as seven came off the board in the first 32 selections, including each of the top three picks. Oregon State’s Billy Oliver went to the Cowboys at #2, while Altarrius Pope went #3 to the Saints.

In addition to the tight ends, several teams went looking for franchise quarterbacks despite the perceived weak draft class. Seven QB’s came off the board in Round 1, led by BYU’s Patrick Coddleman at 4 to the Chargers. The most notable QB selection came via the Cleveland Browns, who appear to be abandoning the Johnny Manziel project after the QB led them to an AFC Title in his rookie year of 2014. They took Lance Ward of Notre Dame at 13th overall.

Bob Diaco and his new team, the London Black Knights, were once again aggressive in the draft as they seek their first Lombardi Trophy. The Knights traded with the Lions to have two selections in round one, taking tight end Alex Oliver out of Alabama at 15 and Michigan’s star cornerback Quinton Baker at 26. The Knights added All-American guards Kai Ocalalaku in Round 2 and Sam Barron in round 4, while adding an intriguing QB prospect with Florida’s Kessler Paul at 90th overall (round 3).

PickTeam PlayerPosition/School
1IndianapolisCharles KingRB-TE/Ohio State
2DallasBilly OliverTE/Oregon State
3New OrleansAltarrius PopeTE/UCLA
4San DiegoPatrick CoddelmanQB/BYU
5ArizonaErik HarveyQB/Memphis
6Minnesota (from Chicago)Grant VaughnCB/Missouri
7Atlanta (from Minnesota)Aaron ZozarniackQB/Missouri
8New York (N)Bryan SlaughterLB/Florida
9Denver (from St. Louis)Jason CulpLB/Tennessee
10New York (A)Marcello StevensonTE/Alabama
11BuffaloPerceus DuncanLB/Florida
12Seattle (from Pittsburgh)C.J. BrewerLB/Ole Miss
13ClevelandLance WardQB/Notre Dame
14New England (from Denver)Terrence ThomasCB/Oklahoma
15London (from Detroit)Alex OliverTE/Alabama
16OaklandLionel HenryS/Notre Dame
17New EnglandClarence TurnerTE/Michigan State
18Chicago (from Carolina)Chris RichardsonTE/Alabama
19Minnesota (from Atlanta)Aaron SmithDE/Minnesota
20HoustonKevin MackOT/BYU
21Kansas CityKentrell GarrisonWR/Texas A&M
22Denver (from Tampa Bay)Vincent HarrellOT/North Carolina
23TennesseeAndrew DanielsWR/Penn State
24WashingtonCourtney SullivanRB/Oklahoma
25SeattleJason LucasQB/Ball State
26LondonQuinton BakerCB/Michigan
27San FranciscoMichael ThompsonWR/Notre Dame
28BaltimoreAshton OverstreetQB/Oklahoma
29New York (A) (from Philadelphia)Dan PalanzanosQB/Clemson
30CincinnatiShe'Treese RobinsonG/Georgia
31Green BayKeylon BarnesS/Illinois
32MiamiTim DePaxsonLB/Florida State

UConn Draft Picks

UConn saw a record four players get drafted. All-Big 12 wideout Rashad Harris was the first Husky selected, going in the second round to the Oakland Raiders. Free safety Ross Sinclair went in Round 3 to the New York Giants, while Ole Miss grad transfer and All-American center Ryan Smelley went in the fifth round to the Chargers. Marcus Bradford was picked in the sixth round by the Redskins.

Super utility man Jeff McNeal and linebacker Sammie Leonard went undrafted but are fielding offers to attend training camps, as is early declaree Royce Archie. Notably not selected were former five-star defensive end recruit Sam Rourke and cornerback Jake Crowder, who left the team amidst controversy in November after fallouts and multiple run-ins with Coach Diaco.

PickPlayerPosition
R2. 16 OAKRashad HarrisWR/UConn
R3. 8 NYGRoss SinclairS/UConn
R5. 4 SDRyan SmelleyC/UConn
R6. 24 WASMarcus BradfordLB/UConn

CAC Draft Picks

14 players directly affected by CAC alumni were drafted: Coach Shea led the way with three of his USC Trojans selected. Of the coordinators, Coach Coley of Rutgers and Coach Nama of Cincinnati led the way with two of their offensive players apiece being selected. OC Matt King of Memphis coached the fifth overall pick, Erik Harvey, the quarterback selected by the Cardinals. Ball State OC Jerome Baumann was responsible for the other CAC first round pick, QB Jason Lucas.

PickPlayerSchool
R1. 5 ARIErik HarveyQB/Memphis (OC King)
R1. 25 SEAJason LucasQB/Ball State (OC Baumann)
R2. 11 BUFGrant DanielsCB/Purdue (DC Smith)
R2. 13 ATLEric JamisonLB/USC (HC Shea)
R2. 15 NORian ScottQB/Rutgers (OC Coley)
R3. 11 BUFJames ColvinOT/USC (HC Shea)
R3. 14 DENQuinton RoyalOG/Southern Miss (OC Davis)
R4. 12 PITJasper HaleyRB/Bowling Green (OC Malloy)
R4. 27 SFDavid HolmesOT/Memphis (OC King)
R4. 28 BALWill CurryQB/Cincinnati (OC Nama)
R4. 29 PHIDouglas HowardRB/UNLV (HC Freday)
R5. 6 DETJay WeaverCB/USC (HC Shea)
R6. 26 LONSean McLaurinTE/Rutgers (OC Coley)
R7. 7 MINDamion Butler WR/Cincinnati (OC Nama)

Other Notable Draft Picks

Some other notable selections include former UConn washout David Hamilton. The quarterback was picked in the second round by the Carolina Panthers after being named an honorable mention All-American in his first and only season at Old Dominion. Heisman trophy winner Andy Merriman, the unheralded tailback out of Nebraska, went undrafted due to concerns about his height and his being a “product of the system”.

Round 2, Pick 18, CAR: David Hamilton (QB, Old Dominion)
Round 2, Pick 23, TEN: Bryce Yeracheck (DE, Nebraska)
Round 2, Pick 24, PHI: Alden Rosario (LB, Oklahoma)
Round 2, Pick 31, TB: James Null (QB, Texas)
Round 3, Pick 12, PIT: Casey Swanson (RB, Oregon)
Round 3, Pick 17, NE: Eric Bonds (RB, Alabama)
Round 4, Pick 8, NYG: Freddie Livingston (WR, Texas)
Round 4, Pick 16, CHI: Kenny Greenwood (QB, Oklahoma State)
Round 4, Pick 20, HOU: Ty Byrd (S, West Virginia)
Round 6, Pick 9, STL: Tim Reid (DT, Auburn)
Round 6, Pick 18, CAR: Tannis Sierra (RB, Arkansas)

------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
You have done an amazing job combining this with CFM and especially the editor to do some cool stuff. The neutral site games in particular. Lemme know when the CAC form goes around again.

I think you should add some high-level mid majors to your OOC, if that exists in your dynasty at this point (I.e. they haven't all cratered/been put in nicer conferences). Could do a 2-for-1 where they play in your stadium twice and you play in there's once. And I think you should play some games with power conference teams from the south or the west. Home-and-homes instead of neutral sites. I'm thinking Bama/LSU/Auburn in the South. Maybe Florida. Whoever's solid as hell in the SEC. And one of the powerful PAC 12 schools.

Also, how the hell did USC end up with the #42 class? I'm reading on my phone so the numbers are jumbled. Did I get that wrong?
Muchos gracias! The Madden aspect to this is something I only recently started thinking about ... I wish I had saved the actual draft classes from two years ago when I went through the early seasons, but it doesn't make too much of a difference. Most of the important guys from early seasons made it onto the Madden 'chise, so we're all good!

You'll know when CAC time rolls around.. I like to devote a full post for the sign-up each season. I'm looking forward to seeing you join the side story if you so choose!

Good ideas on the OOC.. the mid-majors have kinda been cratered at this point with Arky State up in the Big 12 now and Marshall fading back to a good but not dominant team in the AAC. After a nice run in the early seasons, the SEC has considerably fallen off. Florida has been the best team in the conference to this point (two Heisman winners and three national title game appearances in the first five seasons), but slumped to a ~8-5 record last year after their QB got hurt. Alabama has been really bad since Nick Saban retired a few seasons back, as has South Carolina after a pair of CFP appearances themselves. Certainly could be some interesting matchups though.. none of these teams' rosters are particularly bad by any means.

USC has had some difficulty recruiting in recent years -- bad news for Coach Shea - but I think I know why that is. For reasons I do not recall, I set the Coach Progression speed to slowest when I started the dynasty wayyyyy back when, which was the wrong decision looking back. I had no intentions of ever creating coaches, which brought my attention to this, but slowest progression absolutely destroys any reasonable rate of progression. Especially with this roster, the gaps between established coaches levels and young coaches levels are .. very drastic, to say the least.

Coach Shea has been in existence for six years, has won a Natty and nearly a second, and is still only a level 10 coach (I think).. well behind the rest of the Pac-12 coaches. As such, his recruiting efforts are massively impacted; of course USC would be a Top 10-15 recruiting school every year otherwise. Sadly, I can't adjust the coach ratings through the editor (trust me, I really tried), so I'm hoping that doesn't impact CAC stuff too much moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbigmike
Byrom should be No. 8. Don't recall seeing anyone give number suggestions for them, but I tend to go No. 5 or No. 8 for a really nice skill position kid I have high hopes for.
Interesting call.. thank you for dropping that suggestion! 8 was taken by one of our redshirted guys last year, but that could be easily changed because he hasn't played yet and the number isn't "associated" with him like Josh Marriner's #26 or Shav Wade's number 3.

#5 is now vacated with kicker Mike Miller graduated. I've been thinking about #1 as well, but I do kinda like the idea of #5.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.

Last edited by thesportsguru11; 10-04-2017 at 09:49 PM.