View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #158
Aestis
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How many have already stopped playing m18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
well , id say its odd to say that,when this is literally the most ive seen people ready to totally give up on madden all together because of the game. i mean if its that good, seems that would not be the case. Alot of people are ready to walk away from madden for good after this year and its a statement that alot of people ( not just on OS or Twitter ) are stating. So i guess if the gameplay is that grand, seems rather odd to be hearing that statement so much.

People can decide for themselves how good/grand it is. If someone gets tired of legacy issues that still exist, for instance, that might burn people out. But by definition those kinds of issues existed previously. A lot of folks on this forum specifically play vs the CPU and are frustrated by the AI: fair enough, as I said previously I have no comment & limited experience on this one. And a third reason of what I'm sure are a variety of reasons why people may stop playing: franchise features went largely untouched this year, angering some and disappointing others.

But I stick to my original, specific assertion: the pure gameplay in User v User games is the most realistic version of Madden we've seen yet.

I've also been around the block enough times in previous games with iterative titles to know that existing user bases on forums that have been around a while tend to inflate how many people are actually "leaving." It's possible the Madden population on OperationSports is dwindling, I don't have those numbers handy (do you?). But OS is just one small slice of pie in a big dessert.

One unnamed FPS franchise I won't mention to avoid dating myself, in retrospect the 2nd game of a 3-4 game franchise is now seen by most who played it as the best version of the series. But for a while after it came out, to read the hardcore forums of the first game, it was hated, it was a travesty, everybody was quitting it and going back to the first game! But in reality, sales numbers of the 2nd game dwarfed the 1st, and history among many of its players now generally remembers it as a classic and the pinnacle of the franchise.

People get burnt out, plain & simple. Madden doesn't change in huge ways each year, one of the costs of an annual release cycle. People who were already getting burnt out on M17 are going to be even more likely to burn out in M18. Some will come back fresh in 2-3 years and find enjoyment in Madden again at that point in time. I read a bunch of negative crap about M15, M16, and M17 on this forum. Not saying it was baseless negativity, there are PLENTY of fair criticisms of Madden. But a lot of negativity here every cycle. M18 doesn't feel any different to me. I just think people get very emotionally tied to it and have trouble disconnecting from that.

EDIT: For what it's worth, not only have we had zero trouble staying at 32 in our online league, this is by far the longest wait list we've maintained since our group originated back in M15. It's been hovering around 10 for a while now, and I think I only made one recruiting post back in ~mid August. Last year our wait list hovered around 2-4. Our league turnover is at an all-time low thus far in M18. I'm not saying this proves or disproves anything, just presenting the idea that there's more than one way to stick your finger in the air and measure the wind.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues

Last edited by Aestis; 11-08-2017 at 03:33 PM.