Old 11-17-2017, 02:31 AM   #12
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Sports Gaming Subscription Model Roundtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Over the last 3 years I've moved completely away from consoles and back to PC gaming. This matters because EA doesn't bring any of their sports games to PC but Fifa so if that trend continues then I'm done with all sport games.

I have to many games I enjoy playing which don't feature any type of subscription model and I won't jump on that train now. EA created this problem of micro-transactions when Madden Ultimate team took off. They saw people were willing to drop real cash in hopes of improving their team, thus the pay to win model was created. This has now impregnated various titles from CS:GO Skins, H1Z1 loot crates, Hearthstone card decks, to naturally the sports gaming landscape aka EA Sports. It's a very troubling trend that isn't going away anytime soon.

Gamers continue to complain about it, but until they stop taking part in it (spending money) companies will continue to try to nickle & dime the industry.
Not quite, EA lifted the concept from mobile gaming by-and-large. Loot box mechanics also were commonplace in Japanese and Korean MMORPGs long before any game included them stateside, console or mobile. In addition, Zynga had a hand in popularizing the model stateside well before EA touched it with their free-to-play games on Facebook such as Zynga Poker, YoVille, and FarmVille.

Point being, EA absolutely wasn't the industry leader on this. Rather, they saw where the industry was going and went with that flow, just like literally every other AAA publisher has at this point.