View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Thunderhorse
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: What could a different NFL Commish mean for Madden?

Silver has clearly stated he has no interest but it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I know the NFL is in a predicament here; Let's be realistic, Goodell has put a lot of money in the owner's pockets and one of his strongest attributes is his negotiating ability (Think CBA folks). Losing Goodell could potentially hurt them in the long run if they lose that strength.

I know Jerry Jones is supposed to be heavily involved in this (trying to get him out) but I find some of the reasons hard to believe. The allegations this has to do with Elliot's suspension I find it hard to believe. I am unable to imagine that Jones would be so petty, especially considering how well the league has done financially under Goodell's tenure.

I think the NFL is just having a tough year. Primarily the product isn't as good as it used to be. Most of us don't know what we are watching anymore, it doesn't look like the football we grew up watching and playing. In addition, the National Anthem protest have hurt the game because they have illustrated how deep the divisions truly are within our society. I think Jones and other owners probably take more issue with Goodell allowing these protests to continue. Just look at Papa John's absolutely stupid actions and how that has affected them (look at how they've walked back those original statements as well). That CEO is good friends with Jerry Jones (Jerry Jones has even financially invested in Papa Johns), who is close with President Trump.

I think a strong commissioner with vision will probably keep the status quo in this area (madden). I could see a weaker commissioner failing to do this for a variety of reasons, but I don't see the 32 owners making the mistake of hiring a weak commissioner.

Now if I'm just going to dream, I would pine for a commissioner that would offer the full license out and charge any company heavily for it without it being an "exclusive". EA is going to pay what they have to pay for it, Madden is just too important. I don't think the NFL has to work with EA and I think they have enough resources to hold multiple companies accountable to control their image within that product.