View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 12:07 AM   #1423
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

Recruiting: UConn lands first two commits, including #1 RB Swift; others nearing decisions

Setting the Stage: For those curious: I am using mattrd39's 2016 recruiting class, with the top ~500 players' names edited to make everyone "fake". Much thanks to him for his hard work on that project!

After arguably one of the top classes in school history last year, UConn enters the 2022 recruiting cycle needing to heavily target certain positions. With the skill position slots largely settled for years to come, Coach Stephen Belichick and assistants Bill Cubit and Josh Conklin have aggressively set out to reload with forthcoming graduations set to affect tight end and linebacker, as well as continuing to work with finding quality starting offensive linemen with the poor play and inconsistency so far this year.

Here's some food for thought for you: Stephen Belichick has successfully recruited more five-star prospects in his ten months on the job than Bob Diaco did in seven years. Odd for the kid who's never sniffed a college coaching job? Sure. But chalk it up to good help.

Belichick landed perhaps the prize of his first full recruiting class as part of his first pair of commits in the 2022 cycle.

Top-ranked tailback Ashanti Swift, who visited UConn during the Battle for New England weekend, has officially committed to don the Husky blue to start his college career. Though Swift has a lower overall than was projected post-scouting, there is still a lot to like about the Paramus, New Jersey native. Swift is a very balanced runner with solid agility, speed and power; he could figure immediately into the UConn running back rotation depending on what Luke Williamson and J.P. Byers decide to do with their futures in the spring. Don't forget we still have redshirt sophomore Mike Molden, as well as true freshmen Scottie Phillips and Jonathan Shaffer on the roster at running back as well.

The other commit over this bye week is fellow New Jersey native and linebacker Avan Goulding. Goulding is a very interesting prospect with a lot of seemingly isolated skills. He can hit, he's a good block shedder, but his coverage and tackling need work, and he isn't very fast. Nevertheless, Goulding seems to have a lot of upside and with a linebacking core that will again take a big hit this year courtesy of graduation, he may carve out a role early.

-------------------------------------
UConn hosting everyone for UMass

In a partially unplanned event, UConn is slated to host a whopping 15 recruits in Storrs and East Hartford when rival UMass visits on November 6. The recruits range in importance from crucial necessities to ... meh.

In somewhat order, here are the prospects coming to visit:

#6 MLB Marshawn Dortch (Run Stopper) - 4*, 6'2, 240 lbs., Chesapeake, VA
TOP SCHOOL: UConn

#19 DT Gander Mukachukwe (Balanced) - 4*, 6'3, 297 lbs., Philadelphia, PA
TOP SCHOOL: Penn State

#8 ATH Olu Wkunde - 4*, 6'3, 195 lbs., Richmond, VA

#9 ATH Linzell Tyson - 4*, 6'2, 211 lbs., Edison, NJ

#32 QB Morgan Bench (Balanced) - 3*, 6'3, 219 lbs., Long Branch, NJ

#72 WR Hashante Morgan (Balanced) - 3*, 6'4, 193 lbs., Wayne, NJ

#19 TE Michael Modos (Balanced) - 3*, 6'3, 260 lbs., Bergenfield, NJ
TOP SCHOOL: Rutgers

#33 TE Brandon Sarria (Receiving) - 3*, 6'7, 255 lbs., Englewood, NJ
TOP SCHOOL: Buffalo

#39 TE Rahmel Petersen (Blocking) - 3*, 6'4, 269 lbs., Lafayette, LA
TOP SCHOOL: LSU

#53 TE Kenny Graves (Receiving) - 3*, 6'8, 242 lbs., Orono, ME

#37 OT Quendon Shakespeare (Balanced) - 3*, 6'6, 313 lbs., Cranford, NJ

#85 ATH Darrell Jones - 3*, 6'1, 214 lbs., Ellicott City, MD

#30 OLB Easton Lennox (Run Stopper) - 3*, 6'2, 210 lbs., Delaware, OH

#146 CB Curtis Tuttle (Balanced) - 2*, 6'0, 181 lbs., N. Plainfield, NJ
TOP SCHOOL: Rutgers

#92 TE Josh Mirvil (Receiving) - 2*, 6'1, 213 lbs., Winnsboro, LA

The four star prospects excite me a lot, in particular Marshawn Dortch. UConn is in a close recruiting race for him along with Alabama. Though not a great athlete, Dortch is very refined skill wise, a sure tackler with a mean streak. With graduations of Thomas Willis this year and Alex Brown, Mike Hill and A.J. Paxston next year, Dortch is set to contribute immediately should he commit.

Linzell Tyson is an exciting prospect as well who appears to be capable of playing a few different positions. A high school quarterback, UConn is loaded at that spot (we'll touch on it later), but Tyson could also slot in as a defensive back, wide receiver or even a tailback should the extreme happen.

Morgan Bench is an interesting target considering UConn's depth at QB; heir apparent Jordan Brown is still in the building and still in his place, with a loaded depth chart behind. I have been hearing rumblings that third stringer Alex Paige, a true sophomore recruited as an athlete, may be on the chopping block and move to fullback, wide receiver or tight end as soon as the end of the season to best utilize his skills and free up the logjam a bit. With Isaac Jackson graduating at the end of the season, should Paige be on the move and Bench commit, UConn would be left with a depth chart that looks like this:

Jordan Brown
T.J. Appleby
Kelly Carlson
Morgan Bench

Bench would be interesting to keep around considering that he reminds media members a bit of Bryant Shirreffs in that he can run and a throw a bit, but not excel at either.

(Left-Right): Dortch, Tyson, Bench

A lot of tight ends are out there too: Modos and Sarria are likely not coming, but I'll be happy with any of them. As it stands, we have two on the roster now who are both graduating. Whoever comes could start immediately. If I'm wishing though, I like Rahmel Petersen and Kenny Graves because of his size.

--------------------------------
Others

Here are a few more targets who could be in UConn's fray sooner rather than later:

#98 ATH Tevari Lindsay - 3*, 6'4, 288 lbs., North Haven, CT

#16 MLB Jayson Meier (Run Stopper) - 3*, 6'0, 222 lbs., Sayreville, NJ

#165 ATH Nate Dotson (JUCO) - 1*, 6'3, 275 lbs., West Haven, CT

#95 OLB Vasean Gatewood (Run Stopper) - 3*, 6'5, 232 lbs., Maplewood, NJ
TOP SCHOOL: Kentucky

#56 DE Ontrell Jackson (Balanced) - 3*, 6'2, 255 lbs., Bellmore, NY

We already talked about Lindsay briefly as he visited over Battle For New England weekend as well. The likely offensive lineman is probably going to commit any week now. Gatewood and Meier have me intrigued; Meier is not polished but has high upside, while I think Gatewood is sliding under the radar a bit. He has great size for his position but some discipline issues as well, likely stunting his recruiting process.

And a Collection of Misses

Feel free to laugh as we seriously thought we had a shot at some of these guys. Alas, as with every season, there are hits and misses. Enjoy a crudely-put together gallery of some of the kids who won't be attending UConn next fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
O'Toole is a man among boys in the MAC. He's single handedly going to get me a job offer somewhere else (hopefully)
He's certainly playing like a man amongst boys, I'm very happy to see that. I don't want to jinx anything, but CMU, 5-2, stronghold on the MAC West, lethal offense... maybe. Just maybe. I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBoySorbs
Name: Ryan Sorbera

Been a silent lurker in this thread but I love it! Keep up the awesome work!
Well now it's no longer silent! I appreciate the kind words and seeing you drop in Sorbs. I'm certainly planning on being here for the long haul so hopefully you'll continue to read along. Thank you for Coach Sorbera as well! I'm excited to see a northeastern interest and maybe UConn will get to play him soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan3169
Statement win for the Boilermakers against the Badgers finally!
Huge win also because 3-4 looks a lot less dire than 2-5 . Nevertheless the defense played great considering that Wisconsin has three or four really good running backs - and hopefully this win will get Purdue headed in the right direction. *Crosses Fingers*

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.

Last edited by thesportsguru11; 12-03-2017 at 12:11 AM.