View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 12:50 AM   #79
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Is Ultimate Team Ruining Madden (And other Sports Titles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Which brings us back to the true problem: EA is not willing to fork over the money to make the game as great as it could be.
Quote:
Even if MUT didn't exist, EA could still choose to pay that talent the competitive salaries necessary to keep it.
Quote:
The problem is that too many people in charge of where resources are allocated do not actually give a crap about the art. It is not impossible to have people in charge of the bottom line who also care deeply enough about the art to sacrifice a bit to make a better product.
You're putting forth wildly uninformed and unsubstantiated assumptions about how Tiburon works, assumptions which contradict conversations I have shared with friends and colleagues who currently work and/or previously worked down there, some of whom I presently share an office with on weekdays.

Quote:
The old argument goes if you make the product as great as possible, you'll recoup your investment from more sales. I see no reason why that couldn't be true
The 12-month release cadence mandate that Tiburon puts hard limits on what sort of ambitions the dev team can chase for a given boxed release.

Even if that constraint didn't exist, chasing perfection is not an optimal strategy for game devs either. Go read up about Duke Nukem Forever (by 3D Realms; by all accounts DNF was an abject disaster of a project and was restarted at least twice as 3DR chased the idea of the perfect Duke Nukem game) and Titan (a cancelled MMO by Blizzard, its cancellation which cost a bunch of people their jobs and the only reason it wasn't a massive loss is that the remaining team radically pivoted the project into what would become the wildly-successful Overwatch).