View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 01:04 AM   #80
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is Ultimate Team Ruining Madden (And other Sports Titles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
You're putting forth wildly uninformed and unsubstantiated assumptions about how Tiburon works, assumptions which contradict conversations I have shared with friends and colleagues who currently work and/or previously worked down there, some of whom I presently share an office with on weekdays.

The 12-month release cadence mandate that Tiburon puts hard limits on what sort of ambitions the dev team can chase for a given boxed release.

Even if that constraint didn't exist, chasing perfection is not an optimal strategy for game devs either. Go read up about Duke Nukem Forever (by 3D Realms; by all accounts DNF was an abject disaster of a project and was restarted at least twice as 3DR chased the idea of the perfect Duke Nukem game) and Titan (a cancelled MMO by Blizzard, its cancellation which cost a bunch of people their jobs and the only reason it wasn't a massive loss is that the remaining team radically pivoted the project into what would become the wildly-successful Overwatch).

(a) This of course explains why you defend Madden 99% of the time, which makes your posts on these contentious topics less reliable than others.

(b) Why is it not logically possible for executives to decide to double the budget for the game? Note I did NOT say "financially feasible;" I said "logically possible." In an ideal world, the resources allocated to MUT COULD be allocated to other aspects of Madden, WITHOUT losing those designers because the people making financial decisions could choose to pay the competitive salaries despite their work not resulting directly in micro transactions. All it would take is a shifting in the greed versus artistic concern axis in the minds of those who control the budget.

Example: what would happen to Madden if Tiburon's budget is suddenly tripled?

I argue the game would get better. You seem to be arguing that what I just said is an "uninformed opinion based on ignorance about how Tiburon works."

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 12-17-2017 at 01:07 AM.