View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #92
triplechin
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Is Ultimate Team Ruining Madden (And other Sports Titles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I want to address this one, because I was the #2 designer on Franchise Mode for M12 and M13.

MUT did not make this happen. It happened because there was no way to bring the existing franchise mode online, and we were never going to have the resources to do it as two separate modes. We needed 1 unified franchise mode to be used online and offline, and however incomplete M13's CFM was, we did accomplish that.

Yes, MUT had decent size team and maybe some of those heads could have been helpful, but honestly, I'm not sure they would have made a dent. 9 women can't make a baby in 1 month. I'm pretty sure our team was bigger than theirs, and we definitely had more designers/producers.

We knew there was going to be a catchup period. Your impression may well be that M12's franchise mode was a better one, but under the hood it was not. It was a mess of legacy code going back to at least 1999. It was hacked to hell to the point that you couldn't remove anything for fear of destroying some basic system that kept the whole thing up and running.

M13 runs on a unified asset manager that can be easily manipulated by the designers. It has a very powerful test bed. Now, I'm gone now, so I can't say one way or another why it hasn't been used to its potential, but the potential is there. With a reasonable number of resources (most of which were devoted to Longshot this year from what I can tell), a lot could be accomplished.

There's a guy that was in the building when I was there, I wont name him. He was on NCAA, and he did all the rosters, progression, and stats for NCAA. One dude. They need him on Franchise Mode. He is a mathematician, i.e. his degree is in math. I don't know if he'd come at Madden with the same passion because he was a massive CFB fan, but that's the kind of guy that could shore up all the mathematics processes in Madden because of his analytical expertise.
So then what must we do as people who want to enjoy franchise mode to make them take advantage of this system's capabilities and put real effort into the mode?

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html