Old 12-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
VTWiseGuy
Rookie

VTWiseGuy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: East Coast offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Um, actually the vertical "Mike Martz" type offense also originated on the West Coast in San Diego (and to a lesser extent, Oakland). It is usually called the Coryell offense or the digit system. If you mean like what New England runs, it is the Erhardt-Perkins system or the EP system, but what they actually call is similar to the West Coast system.

This gets even more confusing when you realize that in reality every team is basically running the same system just with different terminology: the West Coast terminology (going back to Bill Walsh in Cincinnati when he completely changed and revamped Paul Brown's scheme to the point that the two were constantly butting heads), the Digit terminology (where routes are given numbers- this is the system that the Air Coryell, Mike Martz and 1990s Dallas COwboys used), and the Erhardt-Perkins system (which instead carries route information in single word "concept" packages).

All three are cumbersome in the NFL, but the most cumbersome is probably the WCO, which by virtue of its wordiness is also the most adaptable- although in truth each can signify any concept, it would just require either additional words (Digit system) or additional concepts (EP system).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_offense

This article ^^ also includes the fact that Walsh's offense is only called the WCO because of a journalistic error.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Coryell

This article is probably what you mean by "East Coast offense," as it is the "verticals offense" often spoken about in the NFL.

/useless lecture.
I don't know how you get useless. I found it a pretty good read. Both on the "East" Coast and West Coast offense. I found my answers...thanks.