View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #1459
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

Senior linebacker Cox to miss senior day with pectoral injury

UConn football has received some heartbreaking news as senior linebacker John Cox has been ruled out for Saturday’s game against Louisville - his senior day. Cox left last Saturday’s contest against Wake Forest in the second half with what was later revealed as a pectoral strain and did not return.

After being limited in practice with no participation in scrimmage, the training staff did not clear Cox to play against Louisville, noting that he needs about two weeks to rest. UConn is off next week and Cox should be good to go if UConn makes it to the ACC Championship Game.

Cox, a former lightly regarded three star recruit from Vineland, New Jersey, has been the heart and soul of the defense in recent seasons from his right outside linebacker spot. He exploded onto the scene in his first year starting as a redshirt sophomore in 2019, racking up 90 tackles (30 for loss) with five sacks, an interception and a touchdown while taking home most of the national defensive awards up for grabs. Cox was quietly stellar again in 2020 with 96 tackles (20 for loss), along with four sacks and three interceptions. His numbers have dipped significantly as a senior, but he still has 58 tackles (22 for loss) along with four sacks and an interception. Cox sits six TFL's away from breaking former defensive end Sam Rourke's school record.

UConn’s linebacking core has undergone drastic changes in the past few weeks, with Week 1 starter Scott Coffman missing four weeks to injury and later losing his job on the left side to redshirt freshman Jevon Sapp. Several other backups including Alex Brown and A.J. Paxston have seen significant snaps this season as well.

Paxston, a redshirt junior from Bowling Green, Ohio, will get his first career start in Cox’s place this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundingThird
No matter who wins the MAC West, they stand no chance against my Miami RedHawks! Oh, how I wonder what it would be like to wander the streets of Oxford
Bear in mind that Miami was actually upset in last year's MAC Title Game at the hands of Toledo.

Either way, it must be nice wandering Oxford, because they've got a nice... um... "Roof" over their head. Ted Roof, that is. *rimshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_rousso
Returning the favor my friend, and I'm equally surprised I haven't commented on here either, but be certain that I'm keeping up on this pretty regularly !

You're doing a great job with the graphics as well, everything is easy to find and read and looks great overall !

#5 at UConn is great, but what do you expect from the last game of the season vs Georgia Tech and your chances of reaching the CFP ?
Many thanks Rousso!

I appreciate the comments on the graphics, especially because I'm not a professional graphics guy or anything like that... I actually do them a little differently than most. I do use "photoshop" (one of those free alternative sites) a little, but I do a lot of my work through google slides; by and large, everything comes out looking pretty good most of the time!

As for the game(s), we can't lie down against Louisville - they're 5-6 and have one last shot to get to a bowl game, so I expect them to come out swinging because they have nothing to lose.

Looking ahead though, while we are in the driver seat, it is still possible for us to not get to the ACC Title Game if we lose. Georgia Tech I believe has locked up one of the spots in the title game, as they have a head to head tiebreaker over everyone except NC State (who they did not play) and have wrapped up their conference slate - they play Georgia in the final week. So if we win we'll take on GT in two weeks. I'll be frank when I say that GT scares me. I've always had troubles with the option and Tech was a playoff team last year, which means they won't be overwhelmed by the spotlight and stakes.

The path to the playoff for us is very simple, though - win and we'll get in! May be easier said than done, though.

We'll talk more about the specifics of the playoff picture after the regular season wraps up, but I will say this: The ACC champ is absolutely going to get in the playoff, as well as the Pac-12 champ (and possibly two from the Pac-12 if undefeated Oregon loses to USC; that matchup is already set). After that, it could be really clear or really vague! It all depends on how Champ Week plays out.

Thanks again to both of you!

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.