Aestis
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Serious Question For the Slider Guru's here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
OK Aestis, I'll bite

This is how I can most simply articulate it....the penalty sliders trigger animations...if you've ever seen a holding, a facemask, a DPI, etc. you've seen what they do with your own eyes.

Take that a step further...what is gameplay? It is a series of animations. If any slider changes the rate at which certain animations occur, what have you done? By definition: you've changed the gameplay. Change the animations, you change the gameplay.

When penalty animations trigger, they go through the player's penalty trait (which determines if it is called or not). This is realistic in the sense that uncalled penalties happen all the time (both in real life and in Madden). The problem is that raising the penalty sliders work in triggering more of those animations, but they don't necessarily result in more calls (likely due to the penalty traits).

If guys on the line are grabbing and holding more often (i.e. maybe you've raised the holding slider or maybe one of the block sliders)...that will have an affect on the manner in which the lineplay is shaped. Whether this has a dramatic influence on the overall manner in which your game plays out is very much dependent on the rest of your sliders.

Most people are more worried about the end-result rather than how they get there....penalty slider effects are typically more about the "how you get there" rather than the "end-result".

There are other thoughts out there about slider effects (gameplay and penalty) on CPU tendencies and so on. I have my own thoughts...but now we REALLY begin to get into the "just trust me"....I'm not going to do that here

First off, thanks for the response--constructive debate between guys with extensive but different experience can only help the slider community in my eyes.

Everything you wrote makes sense and seems logical & reasonable. Only have two issues:

1) While I find myself believing everything you're typing, it's still "just trust me." I'd be curious to see any video evidence that *uncalled* penalty animations trigger more often in a way that influences gameplay & outcomes in any material way. I'm not asking for incontrovertible proof or an infallible lab experiment here, just some evidence that this is happening.

Because..

2) I have seen ZERO difference with my own eyes or (far more importantly) in league stats across a bunch of games with a few of the penalty sliders. So for all the animation explanation you can talk around, if one side of the mouth is saying, "Well it may not affect outcomes in a meaningful manner," while the other side is saying "Penalties have [the largest / a large] impact on gameplay"... then something just isn't adding up.

If you're telling us, per your last paragraphs, that penalties are more about cosmetic realism than making much of a difference on outcomes, fair enough and I can respect tahthat. I feel that is not the message many penalty slider proponents are advancing.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues