View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #118
mpd3892
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: ZERO Slider Adjustments & HIGH MOTOR

Quote:
Consistency – Determines if a offensive lineman will consistently hold blocks or will get beat from time to time
That's an interesting idea. I will have to pay attention to that more.

D81SKINS I appreciate the ideas, the more input we get the better chance we have of cracking this game and maybe unleashing it's full potential. Although I'm beginning to think we're up against an impenetrable wall when it comes to how the defense plays.

I've been focused on two last areas that really seem to hold this game back for me: 1. DB zone play and 2. CPU defensive play calling.

DB zone play: With HIGH MOTOR OFF LB appear to do a better job of playing zone and picking up the underneath stuff. They are more patient and react in a more lifelike manner. What I'm still seeing are CB still rigidly staying in their zone, even when no receiver is anywhere near, and allowing receivers to leave their zones and go uncovered. Also, S continue to drop into deep coverage and give up the intermediate routes for easy completions. At this point MCV plays way better than ZCV.

It is possible to somewhat fix this issue, especially the intermediate middle zones, by utilizing defensive coverage shading. Unfortunately the CPU doesn't seem to do this.

CPU defense play calling: I've seen an improvement by setting CPU coaches to anything except "attacking" in the coach scheme (base 4-3/3-4). Lowers the frequency of blitzes, but not by much. Playing on Rookie or AM does seem to improve the quality of defensive play calling. Unfortunately each brings new issues related to those levels (i.e. on AM CPU defensive players seem to "know" the play at the snap. I've seen it where the LB will instantly react to a run when the play called for him to drop into a middle zone. Or where a mid 70's DT instantly sheds either a mid 80's or mid 90's G with strong RBK to make the tackle just as the runner hits the hole.).

I'm reluctant to go down the slider whole, but it may be a necessity in order to take advantage of the superior play calling in Rookie or AM. But before I do so I will go back to trying out either custom play books or the generics. There simply may not be a practical fix for zone play.