View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #46
LBzrule
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Madden 19 Wishlist

My biggest wish:

Widen the Field about 2 yards on each side. One of the biggest issues I have with Madden 18 and previous now thinking about it is the field is just not wide enough. This to me is evident when you try to use Passing concepts that should work against certain coverages but they don't because the spacing is too tight. Let me provide an example.

Cover 3 Sky. You have a Curl/Flat defender on both sides. What are some ways to attack this:

1.) Curl/Flat

This Concept should give you decent yards vs Cover 3 Sky but they don't and often times you end up throwing an INT or taking a sack because the Curl/Flat defender does not have to show his hand immediately. He can drift with the flat and then drop back on the Curl. If the field were wider he'd have to show his hand immediately. Either jump the flat or sink to the curl. In your movement, you can't show both. If the field were wider once you show the one you'd get beat on the other route.

2.) Slant/Flat

Same thing with this one. You have one WR running the flat route and the other one on the slant. You either jump the flat and leave the window for the slant or you stay on the slant and give up the flat. You can't cover both, but in this game defenders CAN. You can do this in practice and watch how the curl/flat defender will immediately widen for the flat but once that slant drops behind him and you throw it he'll immediately move back inside for the slant and either pick it or swat it. You just CANNOT do both.

So to me, widen the field and widen some of the WR splits. Spacing needs to be an issue for defensive play-callers to deal with.

It's the same thing down by the Goal Line. I've never seen NFL teams run as much Zone defense down by the goal line like people do in Madden and there's a reason for it. When teams come out in spread by the goal line spacing is too much of a concern to be sitting in zone all the time. In madden, Space is not a concern so guys sit in zone all game. I mean damn, you come out in empty at the 5 and guys are comfortable going base align 43 Normal Cover 2 or 3-4 Odd Cover 4 and hard flat the seam flats by the OLB's.

The sandbox needs to be opened up. It's the same thing on offense too. Everyone generally runs the same thing because on defense everyone is just zoning up. Widen the field and people will have to run some man. Wouldn't have a choice.