View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 AM   #27
jfeev215
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in

[quote=RodionMaZ;2049187873]To me, Ultimate team modes (which, btw, started as a paid add-on for FIFA 09, not in Madden 11) is the ultimate fantasy sports mode, a true "simulator" where influence of the real world is minimized: I couldn't care less about injuries, divisions, drafts, playoffs, player "development", etc which is dictated by the economics in the first place (it's a videogame - I don't need to fly across the country to play against Boston). All I need is a basketball sim where I can play with the lineups I like.
Ultimate team could be seen as a franchise started from scratch, when you have a bunch of bums at the start and have to work (or pay) your way up. You invest your personal time or money to improve your lineup, but instead of "leveling up" your players, you earn better cards.
If you get tired playing your max lineup, you can always set your rules, salary cap, etc to bring more challenge to the mode. And it is where NBA 2k's MyTeam falls short: lack of vs CPU game modes like "vs CPU divisions" in FIFA or plain "vs CPU"/"vs other user's lineups" modes in MLB: The Show or PES, where you can choose CPU difficulty or difficulty increases the more you win against AI.[/QUOTE

You have the right to your opinion on the matter, however I would challenge that by stating you truly feel that way would you play a title of that nature with wholly fictitious players, cities and teams? I don't have a problem with these 'fantasy' sports style modes being done in that manner, but when devs use the licenses of the sports I enjoy to watch and play and make them in to a complete joke without putting forth a valiant effort to recreate the true essence of the sport it reeks of exploitation. Franchise modes should be the main focus of game development, because in truth the fans of the pay for play online modes will continue to play those modes whether they evolve or not. They'll complain about lack of options, microtransactions, server issues and impact lag but they'll still play and pay away. So devs, if you should read this posts here; try to show us franchise players some love before devoting the remainder of the device cycle and post release support towards the online community.